The Combine Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
There’s no question that’s in the minds of governments around the world. Already measures being taken securing grain and food security. There’s disruptions is supply chains showing up already in Brazil that are preventing transportation of agricultural commodities to port.
Fundamentally there’s no shortage in grains but a perceived disruption in the supply chain could really produce some action.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
That sounds reasonable. Our grains may be in greater demand because we can get them to market more efficiently. If the railways are open and running, the ports are open and the ocean freight moving. I would think food demand would ensure that. No natives camping out on rail tracks in that situation. Where as some other countries might find it more complex to get food to where it is needed. An oppressed population is one thing, a hungry and oppressed one is entirely different. Although I am still waiting for barley contracted for February divery to be picked up and elevator doesn't know when a train will come.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I looked at expectations for covid in india. they expect a 200 day long cycle of illness there barring any breakthroughs.

This is assuming that chloroquine does not work and is not used preventatively if it does work. India is no stranger to chloroquine, you can damn near get it at 7-11 over there. Only time will tell on that one.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Well depending on what model you look at worst case this runs through the entire population it’s safe to assume that it might not go so far as disruption in supply chains but let’s say agriculture capacity is X before the Kung flu, it’s no stretch that it could be less with it running through the population.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Bank of Canada cut rates this morning to 0.2%and is going to do "minimum of $5B per week" of money printing (ie QE).

So now we just need to see if Trudeau will get his wishes for the banks and credit card companies to lower their rates. If they don't then the BoC rate cut gives more profit margin to lenders. My FCC credit line did drop the same 1% as the last BoC cut. So was at 5.5% last week. So, yeah, they are making a heck of a profit anyway. Didn't track my RBC credit line rate.

I know it is kind of out there for thinking, but if Trudeau was concerned with credit card companies taking too much from citizens he could have chosen not to give $50M to Mastercard to build a new data center. But it's good for jobs and the economy and so we like all these kinds of things.

In a nutshell, trying to drive more inflation. Because it is good for you. Same as the last 50 years.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Laws being passed about price gouging. Last credit card statement was over 40 years to pay it off making minimum payments. I will not live long enough at minimum payments to pay it off. But this is not price gouging

·
Registered
312 Posts
What if governments or bank of canada offered credit cards ? That would immediately end the 20% credit card companies.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts