The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the differance is between a 220 and a 220xl swather tractor unit. I know a few of the controls are different but is there more ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The xl hood doesn't slide out like the 220 did , which is a downgrade. Much easier to blow out rad on the older model and a slower transport speed on the xl . No dust bowl precleaner before airfilter on xl too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The frame was reinforced when the production of those machines was moved from Portage la Prairie to Hesston. I think that started with the series II swathers. Another difference is the XL's all have the black header which have a much better knife drive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I am asking is there is a 220 and a 220xl coming up at a couple auctions , they both have the black 5000 series headers and have roughly the same hrs.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have a 1998 220.... U can't beat the fuel economy of it. I heard the Perkins engines aren't as economical but filters and parts are cheaper.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The Izzuzi engine was very cheap on fuel. Wobble boxes on these swathers were weak, lots of them were changed over to the schumaker drive. Pardon my spelling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts