The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know if its possible to replace the V 8 of a MF 48xx 4WD tractor with a Cummins 855 or N14 and if there exists a service for the Masseys like kinzerepower for the DEERE tractors.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sure it's possible

I have 2 4840's and 1 5200.

I have been eyeballing this over the years and I think it would be a fairly simple job. The in-line 6 will be longer than the V-8 so what I would do ,which is what it looks like they did on the 5200 with the 60 series, is add some frame rail to the front of the tractor and slide everything forward. The only thing to consider is that the v-8 turns faster than a 6 so your top speed will be slower.

I've been looking at this in case the 903 ever blows but they just keep on running

I have not seen a company that re powers these but I'm sure there is somewhere.

ks8780

·
Registered
641 Posts
Re: Massey 48xx re-power

They are very easy to re power because the hydraulic pumps and clutch are on the transmission.There are ten or more re powers around here and they run fine.You can use 855 Cummins,60 series Detroit,3406 Cat all work well.One guy put a 1150 Cummins at 500 hp and it went 12000 before they did the trany.You have to ad frame between the radiator and the engine and ad to the hood at the cab end.I like the Cat because it fits a Little better. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
there is a company in Canada that specializes in re powering 4xxx series tractors I have done business with them and they are very good, I have re powered a 4840 with a computerized N14 with 435 hp , works very well . You end up running in high range instead of low , speeds are the same , road gear will be slow,only 18mph . they have put in red top 500 hp cummins and they are working well. company is KJ repair. Web site is kjrpower.com talk to Kieth, great guy.

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts