The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a massey 510 w/ bad trans. Have new (used one to replace w/) HOW i repeat HOW do i swap the trans out??? Do you have to split the trans, remove half, then the axle, and then the rest???? If this is so, when the trans is split, does all the gears fall out??? or are they held in somehow??? ANY IDEAS?????HELP HELP HELP PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Remove the drive axles. Pull them right out and the trans. will unbolt. You have to remove the brake assemblies first. Thw axles are split in their. Trans. is heavy. Need jacks and two guys.

ken

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here's how we've removed the transmission from our 550. I assume you have a 3 speed manual. To remove the drive axles, we removed the final drives to pull them out. That means on the engine side, you need to remove the tire, then the final drive, pull the axle, put final drive and tire back on and repeat on the cab side, but there we just left the tire and drive off for more room to work with. To remove the final drive, we took a piece of flat iron, matched it up with 2 holes on the final drive, drilled holes out in the iron and bolted the iron to the drive and used that as a handle, works slick. To remove the transmission, we bolted a piece of chain to the top the case and used a come a long to lower it to the ground. Put an old tire underneath it in case it falls. Last time we did this it took us about 3-4 hours to remove. Be sure to be safe and block up the combine under the frame whenever the tires are removed. Would recommend 1 person to help out, 2 would be better. There is suppose to be a way to remove the drive axles by removing the brake assembly as 510ken mentioned, we tried that when we cobbed a tranny off our junked 550, that was a pain in the butt to do, and it made a mess out of that brake assmebly. Good luck and ask any more questions if problems come up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts