The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 38 years of owning and driving Massey combines ranging from 780's 400's and 510's I did something today, I bought an International 1460. Will I be sorry?
Glenn.

·
Registered
195 Posts
One of our neighbor's went from a 410 to a 1460 a few years ago and said he never realized it was possible to combine all day without running after parts until he got the Axial Flow.

·
Banned
469 Posts
Wellington53,

Well after 38 years you should know that there aren't any MF models 780's and 400's. I hope that's a typing error. The International 1460 combine is a real good one. But like all combines even the Case/IH breakdown. Best of Luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:Wellington53,

Well after 38 years you should know that there aren't any MF models 780's and 400's. I hope that's a typing error. The International 1460 combine is a real good one. But like all combines even the Case/IH breakdown. Best of Luck

I used to farm in England untill ten years ago when we moved to NE Wisconsin where I bought a massey 510.
This massey 788 is the same as a 780, BTW, This is not me,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SebTITt1Wdk
The 400 is more ore less as the 410.
I,m going to fetch my 1460 home tommorow, It's only 20 mins away.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Wellington, I saw you're in Canada, too, so likewise thought those wre mere typos, but was aware of the numeric order of UK and European M-F models, too. I know the history of the Kilmarnock plant. There is much pride in the Ferguson name, too, as it is Scotch and Irish.

Like Masseypride says, all combines will break down. The Flow will take some getting used to as it is different from the traditional walker-type machines. Not a tough transition, though. Be sure to read/study the operators manual. In time, you will appreciate the Flow's simplicity over the 500's and 760 and 760-like combines. I know 760's were exported from Brantford t the UK and Europe as well. A-F's are easier to work on.

I also wish you the best of luck with your new bine and just take good care of and love her. She will take care of you, too, in return.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here she is! 1979, 3200hrs, $9500. Previous owner bought it from a dealer 5 years ago, he put new a motor in it 3 years ago, used it to combine 200 acres the following year and then quit growing corn altogether.
I really like it and looking forward to next years harvest (wheat, barley, beans and corn)
Question, Driving it home the ground speed was only 10mph, Any way of speeding it up?
Glenn.

·
Banned
469 Posts
Well, Mr. Wellington53,

I guess I owe you a apology for my little snotty comment. Never in my 37 years have I heard of a 780 or a 400 MF combine. Guess I'm the real dummy. Sorry, welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your IH.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wellington-

From what i can see from the picture you posted, the machine looks to be in really good shape especially for a 79'. Enjoy and best of luck with it!!!

matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:Well, Mr. Wellington53,

I guess I owe you a apology for my little snotty comment. Never in my 37 years have I heard of a 780 or a 400 MF combine. Guess I'm the real dummy. Sorry, welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your IH.

masseypride, I never thought for one minute that your comment was a little snotty. The only thing that confused me was the bit you wrote ''I saw you're in Canada'' when we are accually in the state of Wisconsin. Some numbers on some farm machinery in England are different than in the US even though they are identical. For instance the Massy 550 here in the US is a 520 in the UK. Thanks, Glenn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:The "Canada" comment came from Combiness. Not sure either what she meant.
Sorry masseypride, Obviously had a brain fart!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I spent some time yesterday playing around with my 1460 and found a few things that maybe someone could tell me, first, the road speed is only 10 mph, can this be altered to go faster, second, the engine needs to be at 1500rpm before the table will rise, is this normal or is the pump wore? third, when the separator is engaged and you press the switch to alter the cylinder speed nothing happens, it's doesn't speed up or down, if you shut off the engine and press the switch you can hear something turning, is something stuck? fouth, the unloader auger need a shove to help it swing out, it seems free enough though.
Glenn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not lifting the head at idle is normal. Not swinging the auger out - have you tried greasing it at the elbow, four fittings there on a bank I think. Our 1420 won't always pull the unloader right in to the saddle if there is grain in it but it always goes out. Not changing rotor speed check to see if the chain and sprockets are turing when you press the switch (rotor should be running) may be seized or chain off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks cartguy, I have seen the 4 grease fittings and will grease them. The chain and sprockets are good and will turn in either direction but the rotor speed stays the same, What do I do to remedy this?
Thanks,Glenn.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wonder about the speed too, thats what the road speed of my cousins 915 is...your A-F should be able to go alot faster than that... at least I would hope so, does it say anything in the OP. Manual about it?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts