The Combine Forum banner

Massey 510 out, International 1460 in!

18K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  okpanhandle 
#1 ·
Well after 38 years of owning and driving Massey combines ranging from 780's 400's and 510's I did something today, I bought an International 1460. Will I be sorry?
Glenn.

#5 ·
Quote:Wellington53,

Well after 38 years you should know that there aren't any MF models 780's and 400's. I hope that's a typing error. The International 1460 combine is a real good one. But like all combines even the Case/IH breakdown. Best of Luck

I used to farm in England untill ten years ago when we moved to NE Wisconsin where I bought a massey 510.
This massey 788 is the same as a 780, BTW, This is not me,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SebTITt1Wdk
The 400 is more ore less as the 410.
I,m going to fetch my 1460 home tommorow, It's only 20 mins away.

#6 ·
Wellington, I saw you're in Canada, too, so likewise thought those wre mere typos, but was aware of the numeric order of UK and European M-F models, too. I know the history of the Kilmarnock plant. There is much pride in the Ferguson name, too, as it is Scotch and Irish.

Like Masseypride says, all combines will break down. The Flow will take some getting used to as it is different from the traditional walker-type machines. Not a tough transition, though. Be sure to read/study the operators manual. In time, you will appreciate the Flow's simplicity over the 500's and 760 and 760-like combines. I know 760's were exported from Brantford t the UK and Europe as well. A-F's are easier to work on.

I also wish you the best of luck with your new bine and just take good care of and love her. She will take care of you, too, in return.

#7 ·
Well here she is! 1979, 3200hrs, $9500. Previous owner bought it from a dealer 5 years ago, he put new a motor in it 3 years ago, used it to combine 200 acres the following year and then quit growing corn altogether.
I really like it and looking forward to next years harvest (wheat, barley, beans and corn)
Question, Driving it home the ground speed was only 10mph, Any way of speeding it up?
Glenn.

#11 ·
Quote:Well, Mr. Wellington53,

I guess I owe you a apology for my little snotty comment. Never in my 37 years have I heard of a 780 or a 400 MF combine. Guess I'm the real dummy. Sorry, welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your IH.

masseypride, I never thought for one minute that your comment was a little snotty. The only thing that confused me was the bit you wrote ''I saw you're in Canada'' when we are accually in the state of Wisconsin. Some numbers on some farm machinery in England are different than in the US even though they are identical. For instance the Massy 550 here in the US is a 520 in the UK. Thanks, Glenn.

#14 ·
Well I spent some time yesterday playing around with my 1460 and found a few things that maybe someone could tell me, first, the road speed is only 10 mph, can this be altered to go faster, second, the engine needs to be at 1500rpm before the table will rise, is this normal or is the pump wore? third, when the separator is engaged and you press the switch to alter the cylinder speed nothing happens, it's doesn't speed up or down, if you shut off the engine and press the switch you can hear something turning, is something stuck? fouth, the unloader auger need a shove to help it swing out, it seems free enough though.
Glenn.

#16 ·
Not lifting the head at idle is normal. Not swinging the auger out - have you tried greasing it at the elbow, four fittings there on a bank I think. Our 1420 won't always pull the unloader right in to the saddle if there is grain in it but it always goes out. Not changing rotor speed check to see if the chain and sprockets are turing when you press the switch (rotor should be running) may be seized or chain off.

#21 ·
Please do not exceed 15 MPH just for safety. I've talked a great deal on here, abot relative speeds with combines. It's just too easy now, for any modern , center-lined combine to become unstable at its ighest road speeds. This fall, already, some have literally flipped over from the road, and landed upside-down. A near miss for the operator, but instant death for the combines, so just don't get too anxious on the road. Combines are going to be slow, no matter how fast you drive them, period.

#23 ·
Quote:RE the 10 MPH, I will ask the obvious since I am not a red expert. Were you in road gear? Let us assume you were. Then, the next suspect is the hydro pump, it sounds like a lot of stuff won't work right. Did the previous owner ever rebuild it?
Yes I was in road gear (3rd) and apart from that which ever gear your in the combine moves along flawlessly also, the preveous owner never touched the hydro.

#24 ·
I will expose my ignorance. The last time I run a CIH was about 10 years ago and it was a 2388. If I remember right, it had 4 speed transmission and I could not get it into road gear and it was hard to tell what gear you were in, just my inexperience and short time running it. The last time I runa 1460 was about 20 years ago I cannot remember if the transmission shift setup was similar or not. That is why the first thought I had was did you find road gear.

Since none of the red guys want to touch this, it may just be the hydro is worn enough that it won't pull the load in road gear, which requires a lot of pressure. I know our JDs lose 2 MPH of road gear speed after 300-400 hours of wear. When they are new, they do 19+ MPH on the road. After some wear (hours) or a muddy year, they don't pull the hills and top speed is about 17.5 MPH (in 3rd on the road). So, at 3,200 hours, it may just be wear. If top speed for the 1460 new is 15, it would be possible it won't pull the load on the road. Check the pump.

#25 ·
Before you tear into the hydro pump, try adjusting the linkage on the hydro handle. You'll find the cable on the left hand of the machine up by the hydraulic pump. I apologize for not being able to explain more clearly, but it's been over a year since I've messed with that. Our 1680 was slowly losing speed as it aged and a quick adjustment of the cable was all it took to get it back like it should. I'm not sure if it's the same on the 2388 or not, but if it is (or similar) I'll get a pic up tomorrow. For reference, our 1480 used to run about 17mph. As it got older it slowed down to about 15.

We had trouble last year getting the unloading auger to swing out on the 1680. It turned out that the hoses that run from the grease zerks to the turret were plugged with old grease and fresh grease wasn't getting there. Dad replaced all the hoses and pumped a ton of new grease in it. The auger was also drooping when it slid out of the cradle. Tightening the rod on top got everything back in alignment. It worked like a champ after that.

As for your rotor speed adjustment, sorry, I can't help there. Closest experience I have was the fan speed not adjusting on the 1480, but that was electrical.

Sorry for the late reply. Spent the day at the Amarillo Farm Show.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.