The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help in setting a 860 for barley I got lots of beards and trash in grain tank . I am used to setting 1500 NH really simple compared the massy

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
how much return are you running? if quite a bit of partial heads, it sounds like you arent threshing it all out.

How good are the bars and concave?

·
Registered
450 Posts
do you have the round hole sieve installed on the bottom. with it you can run every thing a bit more open. wind included. cylinder speed around 750, concave front at 3/4 of an inch, fan speed pretty high.condition of grain means a lot. speed too, walker loss will be the big issue.pretty simple unit to set,70 bushel per acre will max you out at 3 3.5 miles an hour. lots of beards means your being real gentle with the seed ,don't be scared to thrash it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I tightened my concave till it rubbed then backed off one notch , it cracks the odd one but 80% of the beards are gone , cranked up the wind to almost full but still getting some trash in grain tank

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds like may need new bars on cylinder, or speed it up , open concave a notch... but what are u getting in the tank

·
Registered
450 Posts
malt barley needs to be dryer than 12.5 so it will peel easy, feed is 14.5 so you can be a lot more aggressive with cyl.speed and concave clearance.if you have a wide spaced concave you should have the first four rows blanked off.without a round hole bottom front sieve , the top sieve needs to be very tight as this lets grain go directly to the tank.try with the fan at top speed.been a few years since I ran one but I did put 6000 hrs. on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I found my problem, the previous owner had installed a harvest concave, the mounting holes on the front of the concave must be higher than on the old one cause when trying to tighten up the front of the concave , the mounting bolts bottem out making it impossible to close the front less than3/4 in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts