The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a Massey 860. The owners manual for it has been severely roughed up and mouse eaten before I got it. I would like to get a new one. I have been told they are serial number specific. I am wondering if anyone would know where I would find the serial number so that I can order a new manual? I think it was built around 1983 but I am unsure. It has a silver cab and still runs the 6 cylinder Perkins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. It has a brown interior. I believe it is an 87. It is my first combine and a heck of an upgrade from Dad's White 7800. I got it for a smoking deal and it seems to be mechanically in very good shape but has some very .......questionable repairs. I am slowly working my way through it as best I can. Any suggestions or tips on what to watch for?
Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
the serial number on the later ones is under the fuel tank just ahead of the left rear wheel. they changed it around '83 to that side of the combine

·
Registered
758 Posts
start with the feeder make sure paddles are timed 90 degrees to each other check concave for level. check cylinder drive gear box for oil if none take apart and check chain in there . check pulley above fuel tank that drives walkers for play. check rethresher cylinder for play on shaft. other then that check your bearings and belts. these are a very good combines and you'll love the capacity compared to the old White.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The beater bars are in good shape but I will check for timing. The pulley for the walkers is in good shape, most bearings were changed last year. I do notice that the belt coming off the walkers is rubbing against the combine on one side and rubbing against itself on the other. Is that pulley mounted to close to the combine? It is the only thing I could come up with. Everything seems to line up and I do believe that the pulley was pulled off and bearing changed last year.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think it's ok as that belt does rub. make sure that belt is twisted the right way as you will pile up the straw inside and damage something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The part that it rubs on itself a little doesn't bother me that much, but the fact that it is rubbing on the combine enough to start to burn a whole in it does bother me. When I get time to work on it again I will make sure it is turning in the proper direction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far my new 860 has ran like a champ through the harvest. But I am thinking of getting a straight cut header for next year. Does anyone know of any straight cut headers other than the Massey made ones that came with it (9020,9025) that would fit it? Also does anyone know if you can still buy the unloading auger extensions? If so how much do they cost? I figure in my current configuration I can do about a 20ft header and would like to go to around 25ft.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
You can put a 960 macdon on it if you wanted. ;)

1895, 9000 series, 9100 series (flex) all fit.

Just go to a scrap yard. Combineworld has a 860 sitting there with what looks like at least a 4ft extension on it. I'm sure Gratton Coulee or one of your local scrappers will have one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts