The Combine Forum banner

Massey Combines Through The Years

10K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  small time operator 
#1 ·
Do you recognize this pic Vintage Massey?

You probably have some action photos, that would be great!

Don

See less See more
#4 ·
After reading this forum for quite some time I thought I would take the opportunity to share a story about Massey combines and their use on our farm.
Massey combines have been used for our harvest since the 40's and we have owned many models. My Grandfather, John Frere, was a Massey dealer from 1937 to 1978 and so Massey was always a part of the family. My interest in combines began at a very young age as I never missed an opportunity to ride with my Dad after school or climb all over the machines while they sat in the shed waiting for the next harvest (leaving many dead batteries behind I’m sure). About ten years ago I came up with the idea that I would like to have a vintage machine to restore. I approached a neighbour and asked what his plans were for the Massey Harris 90 Special that had been sitting along his fence. He said “I just needed the shed space so I parked it outside”. I mentioned to him that I was looking for an old Massey to restore and do some “Antique Combining”. He gladly gave the machine to me and his only request was that it not be used for a combine demolition, well that was certainly the last thing I had in mind. With a little TLC (it has seen some weather) we managed to get the machine running and drove it home. While fixing a few things I went to the building where my Grandfather operated his business, at that time it was still used as a family shop, and was able to find the old parts book as well records that showed the 90 special was originally sold by my Grandfather. There were still some parts for this machine in the building that I was able to get for my project. I spent the next few years having fun with this machine and threshing a few acres each year. Since our farm never had just one machine, I couldn’t allow the historic fleet to stop there. I am always looking in fence corners and auction sale bills for old Massey combines. Well I found my second machine at an auction sale in Innisfree AB. A Super 92 that was last used in 1984 and had been in the shed all its life. My wife thought I was loosing my mind but I was able to bring this unit home complete with most of the parts for straight cutting once the pickup was removed. My fleet had grown to 2 units and the post harvest party grew larger hosting around 60 people that year. Some friends and neighbours come and can hardly wait to take a turn on the operators platform while others state ”I’ve spent enough hours freezing or choking on one of those d**n things there is no way I’m getting up there.” Three years later it happened again, my brother informed me of a Massey Harris 92 at an auction near Hysler AB. This machine too had been inside all its life and aside from some rust in the gas tank it was nearly field ready. I brought it home and it is part of my fleet. I was honoured to have this machine on display (Thanks to Trochu Motors for freight) for the 25th anniversary of the Red Deer Farm Show in 2008. Swathing for these units has always been a bit of a challenge. I had set up a 25 foot header to lay two swaths but a friend and neighbour was always bothered by this new iron in the field on the day of the harvest therefore he purchased a 15 foot Cockshutt #2 swather and it works perfect for this project. I try to hold an antique harvest each year however this year harvest in Central AB had been delayed due to weather and I unfortunately we cleaned up the last 10 acres with a 9795, but just as in real farming ”there is always next year”.
With a keen interest in farming as well as history, I guess I wanted to take on such a project as a tribute to my Grandfather, Great Uncles, Dad and the pioneers that made Alberta what it is today. I’m not sure where and when I will find my next treasure but I’m always watching.

PS I have lots of photos if anyone is interested

#9 ·
After reading this forum for quite some time I thought I would take the opportunity to share a story about Massey combines and their use on our farm.
Massey combines have been used for our harvest since the 40's and we have owned many models. My Grandfather, John Frere, was a Massey dealer from 1937 to 1978 and so Massey was always a part of the family. My interest in combines began at a very young age as I never missed an opportunity to ride with my Dad after school or climb all over the machines while they sat in the shed waiting for the next harvest (leaving many dead batteries behind I’m sure). About ten years ago I came up with the idea that I would like to have a vintage machine to restore. I approached a neighbour and asked what his plans were for the Massey Harris 90 Special that had been sitting along his fence. He said “I just needed the shed space so I parked it outside”. I mentioned to him that I was looking for an old Massey to restore and do some “Antique Combining”. He gladly gave the machine to me and his only request was that it not be used for a combine demolition, well that was certainly the last thing I had in mind. With a little TLC (it has seen some weather) we managed to get the machine running and drove it home. While fixing a few things I went to the building where my Grandfather operated his business, at that time it was still used as a family shop, and was able to find the old parts book as well records that showed the 90 special was originally sold by my Grandfather. There were still some parts for this machine in the building that I was able to get for my project. I spent the next few years having fun with this machine and threshing a few acres each year. Since our farm never had just one machine, I couldn’t allow the historic fleet to stop there. I am always looking in fence corners and auction sale bills for old Massey combines. Well I found my second machine at an auction sale in Innisfree AB. A Super 92 that was last used in 1984 and had been in the shed all its life. My wife thought I was loosing my mind but I was able to bring this unit home complete with most of the parts for straight cutting once the pickup was removed. My fleet had grown to 2 units and the post harvest party grew larger hosting around 60 people that year. Some friends and neighbours come and can hardly wait to take a turn on the operators platform while others state ”I’ve spent enough hours freezing or choking on one of those d**n things there is no way I’m getting up there.” Three years later it happened again, my brother informed me of a Massey Harris 92 at an auction near Hysler AB. This machine too had been inside all its life and aside from some rust in the gas tank it was nearly field ready. I brought it home and it is part of my fleet. I was honoured to have this machine on display (Thanks to Trochu Motors for freight) for the 25th anniversary of the Red Deer Farm Show in 2008. Swathing for these units has always been a bit of a challenge. I had set up a 25 foot header to lay two swaths but a friend and neighbour was always bothered by this new iron in the field on the day of the harvest therefore he purchased a 15 foot Cockshutt #2 swather and it works perfect for this project. I try to hold an antique harvest each year however this year harvest in Central AB had been delayed due to weather and I unfortunately we cleaned up the last 10 acres with a 9795, but just as in real farming ”there is always next year”.
With a keen interest in farming as well as history, I guess I wanted to take on such a project as a tribute to my Grandfather, Great Uncles, Dad and the pioneers that made Alberta what it is today. I’m not sure where and when I will find my next treasure but I’m always watching.

PS I have lots of photos if anyone is interested
I’ve always wanted to try and do a vintage combine day at the end of harvest like this.Currently working on a 1964 JD model 55 but would like to find Massey 90 or 92.Someday I hope to have few vintage models to run,could be a lot of fun I think.

#5 ·
Vintage, that's great! I've been wanting to talk to you, since you joined a couple of months ago. I'm the one who started Wild Harvest newsletter, too.

My first combine experience was a 90 SP Special, too. That was some combine in its day, too. Keep up the collecting and restoring. We have others on here, right there in Canada, who also collect/rebuild vintage combines. The interest in antique combine harvesting bees is sure growing, too. Sure beats that ugly other, eh?

#8 ·
great pics hard to believe that things have got so big we had massey when i was young i live in ontario i remember driving by the massey plant and the cockshot plants and seeing the yards full of new combines now i think they have houses on the land. i know it is a lot newer but we have a old 300 with a cab that we do a few acres each year i have old tractors and a d2 and d4 caterpiller that are over 60 years old.

#13 ·
Yes they are rare. No this wasn’t the one on Kijiji this one was bought new by my grandpa. Still works used it a bit the year before last. What do u run for a vintage Massey? The neighbour has his grandpas 27 Massey sits outside but motors not seized trying to get him to get it goin and do a vintage day beside the jd maybe put the versatile in as well. Where did u see the versatile for sale what province? Just curious

#15 ·
father in law used to run those versatile combines, he said they could get a seed quality sample. They also had 20or 22’ straight cut heads, which was pretty big at the time. Only problem was their land is really rolling and if you dug in the side of the header even the smallest bit, the feeder house would get twisted. They owned three, only able to keep one running at a time.

#16 ·
I just posted a couple videos I just so happen to have of a super 92 on the johndeere thread, then came across this thread so here goes.
Bought at auction last summer was sitting outside under a tarp for probably 20 years, I'm not a combine collector but couldn't pass this one up for $300, as I've heard stories of my grandfather being so proud of his 92 when he got it... so its sentimental for me.
About 8 miles from home, dont have a suitable trailer so had to get it running to drive it home!
My goal is to get it fully operational and keep it as original as possible, it's my style, they're only original once. I like em in they're original "work clothes"

#17 ·
Way back when in early 80s had to borrow a spare combine from my workman who farmed a small acreage at the time due to a breakdown. It was a massey 510 wow did that ole girl have cap@city and nice sample triple sieves. He still vows and declares it was one of his best combines. He runs a 10 y old massy at moment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.