The Combine Forum banner

Massey Ferguson 550

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jim62 
#1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum and my buddy has an issue with his MF 550. The problem is his combine won’t turn the header all of the sudden. He just bought this combine a month or so ago and it started out shelling corn fine. After doing about a half acre he noticed it got down to barely spinning the header and then down to not spinning it at all. There is a Cupler on the left side of the header that we unhooked and with that unhooked the combine will spin everything no problem. He is thinking that the clutch is burnt out in it, could it be that or some thing as simple as a linkage adjustment or a belt etc.? If anyone can help that be great thanks

#2 ·
I think clutch is slipping badly.
He can try adjusting it.
It is behind the drive pulley on the countershaft.
You can remove the brass collar right in there and inspect it for wear.
However if the flange is worn the brass collar pushes on well then the clutch has to come apart.
When adjusted correct I think it takes 50lbs force to snap over center on the handle.

#4 ·
It sounds like if the rest of the combine is running fine and has a header clutch then you problem is in the electric feeder house clutch, It is either wore out or is not getting enough power. There is a bolt hole that you can screw a bolt threw into the slot behind that will lock together so it will not slip or disengage. This clutch is located below the main drive pulley back behind the unload auger drive on the left side of the combine threw the door behind the cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.