The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get my hands on a old massey 44 gas. I've always wanted to fix up one of these old girls but my knowledge, time and space is limited at times.

What am I looking at if I go ahead with this. The engine is locked up. Tires are shot. Tin is rough in parts. Are parts readily available for these somewhere or is it a long drawn out hunt for them? Is there any complex parts to them or is it all a pretty straight forward nuts and bolts? Are they a 12v system or 6v?

It was my grandfather's tractor and has been sitting for years, but it needs a new home now. So am debating if it's worth dragging back to my yard to either have a project or maybe a lane ornament.

Any comments or insights?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Its surprising what I've been able to get from Agco for an old Massey TEA20 and Ferguson FE35. I'd check with a good parts person at your local AGCO for a rough idea of what they have.

And check Steiner tractor parts website. You'll be able to get a rough idea of what's available.

I've done a few old tractors. 2 more on the list and then I'm done. But they all have had some sentimental value. Easier to do than a car, truck or airplane. And cheaper. Trust me. As long as you can get what parts you need

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Even just to hold down the grass, thats part of your family history, bring it home.
Those actually have a Continental engine in them. Lots of aftermarket parts available which is most common source of new, and in this part of the country they sell between $500 to 2K depending on condition, so often a parts tractor or two is a good investment if you need much.
Most are 6V but I have seen them converted to 12, and possibly the later ones may have come with 12, I'd have to check. Don't have the factory books but do have hardcover jobber ones from the 50s and 60s that would show what all was available, been while since I tinkered with one. Those old books often have info you don't see in modern reprints. If it is 6, it most likely be positive ground as well.
Those old Masseys were a good unit in their time. Not sure if it is still in huge demand, but for years the pullers would build their units with a Massey 55 back end, that should tell you something lol.

And for that stuck engine, fill it full of diesel and let it soak, time is your friend. Might not be that bad and even if it is, that soaking will make it easier to deal with when you tear it down.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I assume it will be a 6 volt system with a generator and most likely a positive ground system. That at least seemed to be the situation from the factory from what I gather and if there is an old battery installed even though it would be split open, look closely at the post markings on the battery to confirm that. I suppose its always possible someone changed the system components so I guess one can't take anything for granted.
I see AlbertaBuck posted as I was typing ... in any event it can play on the mind as one boosts a positive ground unit as it doesn't seem right to attach the cables with the positive to the frame.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And for that stuck engine, fill it full of diesel and let it soak, time is your friend. Might not be that bad and even if it is, that soaking will make it easier to deal with when you tear it down.
I've heard of this... do I dump the oil then just fill the bottom end with fuel or should I be getting it on top the pistons as well.

if there is an old battery installed even though it would be split open, look closely at the post markings on the battery to confirm that. I suppose its always possible someone changed the system components so I guess one can't take anything for granted.
I'm assuming it's a 6v as well but there is no battery in it so not sure. Would it be marked anywhere else what system it would be, on the starter or something, or is there a way to tell the differences?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
One thing you can do which I can only guess would tell someone who is familiar with the alternator and starter, is to look for the tag on each component and write those numbers down. Also look for anything that seems modified or seems to look factory. As to the polarity, this is stretching it a bit but if the battery cable ends are in tact and if whoever took the cables off the battery didn't go and stretch one of the ends wide open, look for the cable that has the larger hole diameter and if its the cable that connects to the engine block, its a good chance your dealing with the factory positive ground system.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Diesel in the top of the pistons is far more important than the bottom end. I like a 50-50 mix of diesel and ATF. Seafoam Deep Creep is my go to penetrant in an aerosol for when stuff is really stuck.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Diesel in the top of the pistons is far more important than the bottom end. I like a 50-50 mix of diesel and ATF. Seafoam Deep Creep is my go to penetrant in an aerosol for when stuff is really stuck.
Perhaps I should have explained that better...when I said fill it full, I mean full top to bottom, crankcase, cylinders, intake and exhaust, everything except water jacket.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
There was an old guy south of Nipawin who used hydraulics to break stuck engines free. He made up custom fittings for the injector hole and put hydraulic pressure on the piston. I'd start with the diesel soak but when it comes time to break it free hydraulics may help.

·
Registered
452 Posts
What memories of a 44 Massey Harris. My first outfit was an old 44 Massey when I was 11 or so for 400 bucks and a brand new fork style rock picker for 600. I and my siblings and friends picked rocks for many years with that beauty. What an upgrade from a stone boat. The 44 added to the existing 55, both were easier to start with the front crank. Half a turn would get them running as smooth as glass. In the summer we hooked it to an old camp trailer and would camp out overnight at the local slough. Man, I loved that machine and have thought many times of restoring one but alas I have too much junk that I have to actually use to fix on a daily basis so I never did it. So I tip my hat to those who can actually go through with it as I hate to see that old iron get abandoned. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Grandpa bought one brand new. I still use it occasionally to plow snow. Had to put a new clutch in it last year. So far any part I have required were available from Agco or a wreaker. Mine is 6v pos ground still.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Difinatly bring it home, if it's a part of your family's history!

ATF and diesel on top of the pistons, leave the plugs loose or out completely when it comes time to try to turn it over [avoid hydraulic lock]
If you have lots of time or the project is low priority.... two things you can try, 1- stick the crank in the front and either put a jack under the handle and let it sit with some weight on it... if you leave it for years the hot/cold cycles may break the engine loose with the diesel in it.
Or 2- jack up 1 rear wheel put it in high gear and whenever you walk past it give the wheel a few good clunks back and forth in an effort to break the rust sticking the pistons.
I have even heard about strapping a long beam on the wheel with a bucket of rocks on the end to let sit and do the same kind of thing.

Pics!?
?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to grab some when I went to look at it but once its home I'll get some pics.

I think I'll throw it in the corner of the shed, fill it full of diesel and hope for the best. Might take a couple years before I really dive into it anyways. Might even make a good project for my boys when they get older.

Figured I should ask on here as these are the responses I was hoping for... reaffirming my addictions of collecting old stuff.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If I had lots of money, I would have piles of old stuff sitting around waiting to be fixed. But alas, because I have no money, I have plies of old stuff sitting around waiting to be fixed!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Haha I hear ya. For some reason theres not as much appeal to the 12 pre-1980 ski doo sleds I had sitting here to anyone else but myself.

I guess I should also ask for tips to get it home. It's not far, 10ish miles or so, but one rear tire is right buggered so cant tow it home. Dont have a trailer to put it on, unless it would fit in the back of my stock trailer?

Any tricks or do I just need to search for a trailer.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
My father used to bitch me out every time he found out I had bought another "antique". Probably the most he ever commented was when he come down to my place unexpectedly and found an 830 Deere sitting in the shed hooked up to a baler. Only good thing he said at the time was that at least he didn't see my old R anywhere anymore lol. As it turned out, it was the last time I explained to him simply that I liked some of those older machines and trucks and if I didn't buy them now when I had the chance, years later one would have trouble doing so. I paid $2750 for that electric start 830 from Deere in Trochu close to 30 years ago now, run good and worked it for several years before the injection system started giving grief and got parked till time to fix it again. Good luck trying to replace it with one in the same shape it was back then for under 10K today. The old man is long since gone, but it seemed I was on the right track all those years ago, have never regretted buying any of the ones I did back then, or the rest I have added since. As I say around here the stuff in my yard is counted by the acre lol. And its what I tell anyone who is into that or thinking of it, buy them now while you can. So much of them are ending up in collections or the scrap yard, and after the likes me are gone and done too, I can't see there being much readily available anymore.

A measuring tape will tell you if it will fit in your stock trailer, but I'd becareful you don't get any fluid slopping around if there is a buggered tire, seems the older solutions, thats horribly corrosive stuff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well got it home... little interesting as something is seized right up and couldn't even get the tires to roll. But got it on my makeshift trailer and made it home. Shes rough but will spend the next years living in the shed till I have time to do something with it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts