The Combine Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
First thing I'd be checking with the rear wheels not turning is the brakes hanging up. Seen that more than once. And agreed, if its gonna sit, fill up the back end too. Check for water in it first too, just loosen the plug till last thread, do the engine too. And honestly that old girl don't look that bad, I've seen a lot worse. Have fun.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thought it was brakes too but had one tire in the air and then they would spin... in opposite directions. Figure it might be stuck in gear or something. But ya I was gunna fill every thing up with diesel and see what happens.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If one is in the air and they spin in opposite directions, then your diff is fine. You're right, likely stuck in gear. Hopefully that and not a messed up tranny

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dumped the oil, or should I say sludge, out of the trans and engine this morning before I put it in the shed. Filled it up with diesel. I put diesel in the spark plug holes and in the crankcase until it was coming out the dipstick, it is worthwhile to pour some down the exhaust pipe too?

Was wiggling it back and forth with another tractor as we were towing it and almost seemed to free up some. The last 3 feet into the back corner whatever was stuck must have come loose cause it rolled then. Put the crank in the front of the engine and gave it a good push and turned the crank about 3 inches. So there is hope that it's not siezed up bad.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
I like to dump some down the manifolds, it don't hurt, increases the chances of loading up the cylinders and infiltrating the valve stems depending on configuration, yours being overhead valve and an updraft carb, I'd still dump some down the exhaust but keep in mind it is gonna create a bit of a mess when things puke over after it leaks thru the internals. Also I wouldn't leave it jammed as far as it will turn one way, always best to back it up and let it sit in a loose position, and every now and then when walking by or you think of it, rock it back and forth, it all helps.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Definatly a pleasant surprise this a.m. went to go push on the crank as I was going by. Ended up being able to rotate the engine a few times. Wasnt stuck that bad I guess!
Well that's a good start. It's been 5 years or better since I've playd with a 44 but parts aren't hard to find for them.
Have a row crop with a 350chevy/auto trany in it. Fun rig!
Alot of pullers used 44s back in the day. Still a few around using 44-6s, (6cyl)
congratulations and happy fixing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts