The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples experience with a MAV chopper spread on Lexions? I have a 480R as a second machine with standard MAV on it how well will it spread? will I be happy on a 36'cut? should I get the higher wind speed wide spread kit?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
What type of straw are you spreading? Adding some wind blades or paddles like the ones on the end of the chopper are a big help. Our MAV chopper on our 590r with lots of modifications will spread wheat straw up to 40 feet and lentil straw 30-35 feet.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cereal straw is our biggest concern but will have peas and canola as well. It is the latest version I am told, put on the machine in 2007. It has 1.5" outer wind blades and a few scattered throughout the rotor. Apparently Redekop has a wide spread kit, that includes some tail fin modifications and increases outer wind blades to 2" increasing air flow to help spread. Redekop's site says standard to 36, widespread 40-45.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I put a MAV on my 480 Cat and am very happy with it. Have a 36' header and no trouble spreading the full width. The MAV choppers that come with the 500 series Lexions are good, but not as good as the MAV that I got from the factory for my 480. The ones built for the 500 series are not as adjustable. Not sure if this is to keep the costs down, or because of what will fit on the machine.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I put a MAV on my 480 Cat and am very happy with it. Have a 36' header and no trouble spreading the full width. The MAV choppers that come with the 500 series Lexions are good, but not as good as the MAV that I got from the factory for my 480. The ones built for the 500 series are not as adjustable. Not sure if this is to keep the costs down, or because of what will fit on the machine.
Exactly my experience. My aftermarket MAV straw and chaff version has adjustable split tailboard and adjustable deflectors inside the rear panel and spreads straw and chaff easily 30' and spreads evenly across the whole width. The 08 590 was terrible. Everything was aimed at maximum spread width ,maybe 40+ feet, but at 30-35' it left a windrow at the meeting point of two passes, a heavy strip right down the center 10' and nothing in between. There was nothing to adjust other than redrilling the fin holes on tailboard or trying to bend those spring steel deflectors up inside by the rotor outlets. I have added a linear actuator to adjust the tailboard up and down that has helped a lot. I can adjust the width of spread based on different headers, different crops and moisture and wind. I also removed those deflectors up inside by the rotor discharge and replaced them with homemade linear actuator adjustable fingers that have not been as successful as I had hoped. This summer we pulled the rotors for the front bearing upgrade and noticed a couple of crossways mounted vanes near the very back and top of the cage that seem to be deflecting the straw somewhere and was wondering if removing them would make the path of straw discharge predictable and therefore work with my adjustable fins. Any thoughts or experience on this? TIA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts