The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I all, I just purcahsed a used planter and it is equipped with liquid fertilizer system. The tubes go to the keaton seed firmer to put the fertilizer right on the seed. My goal is to put 45 Lbs of N / acre as a starter using 32-0-0 solution. If my math is good, it would make around 12.5 gal/ acre of 32-0-0. Probably too much to put right on the seed? If so, what would you use instead of bringing the 32-0-0 to the seed firmer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, that was my impression. We will use this planter mainly for beans but will also do a bit of corn. This is a 30 foot twin row great plains planter. I will plant most of my corn with my Case IH planter. 12 row 30 inches. This one is equipped with dry fertilizer Aulari cart.

I plan in using the Great plains in only the fields where I have manure on in the spring so I won't be adding P or K.

What would you use to place the N? I've seen many farmers using only drop tubes on each side of the row. Is that a good way?

·
Registered
63 Posts
We don't use any more than 6 gal of 6-24-6 (wich is low in salts) in the seed trench, and some say that is too much....in furrow fertilizer is just for giving the seed that extra vigor right off the start. 28 % or 32 % are high in salts and would damage the seed if you tried to put all the n out there for the crop. My suggestion would be spread urea on in side dress right before a rain, or put drop tubes on sprayer and use liquid
Coulters placed mid row on planter would work too for putting liquid n on with planter, but it can get to be a lot of stuff to watch on planter depending on what else you are all putting on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.