The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks with the Seed Masters/Seed Hawks how much N are you pushing with canola?

Its probably mostly going to be in fall juiced ground but kinda curious what a guy could run direct seeding.
It would likely be NH3.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats getting in there. I think last year we topped out about 140 on the lowest N fields. Any phos with the seed? I know in Bourgaults agronomy trials they were showing some stranding putting it all in the hot band.

·
Registered
321 Posts
With a seedmaster i averaged 126 pounds of actual n last year with anhydrous. Some zones as high as 175 pounds. No problems yet. Had an oopsy a few years ago. 20 acres went on at 250 pounds actual n. That thinned the canola out significantly but in the end yielded just as good. Also put 120 pounds of a dry phos and sulfur blend with the nh3 and 3 gal g22 alpine with the seed. Think the starter phos helps the crop get going while the dry phos is tied up in the hot nh3 band.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With canola where it’s at we’ll be pushing the groceries so that makes me feel a bit better.
I think that’s the Cadillac putting liquid Phos with the seed. We have a nh3 cart that’s setup for that just have never quite gotten there.

·
Registered
764 Posts
With canola where it’s at we’ll be pushing the groceries so that makes me feel a bit better.
I think that’s the Cadillac putting liquid Phos with the seed. We have a nh3 cart that’s setup for that just have never quite gotten there.
Why do you think liquid phos is any better then dry? A pound is a pound no matter what and unless I missed something in school.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well not exactly the alpine, I don’t buy the 6#=40# coolaid but I have liquid Phos guys that farm beside me and it’s just sickening how much better the crop looks off the start with 10-34.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Dry phos salt index limits how much you can put with the seed especially canol, I assume with liquid you can put a lot more P with the seed. I think that the next drill that we buy we will take a good at using liquid instead of Nh3.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well not exactly the alpine, I don’t buy the 6#=40# coolaid but I have liquid Phos guys that farm beside me and it’s just sickening how much better the crop looks off the start with 10-34.
Are they just using Phos or all liquid? Liquid guys around me look better off the start on cereals but it doesn’t after a month and they sure don’t grow anymore grain either. And I fail to understand how hauling water around in spring makes sense. I think some of the green effect is from almost zero separation between seed and fertilizer these guys are doing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts