The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have most of the kinks worked out on the 585 and maxflex headers this year. Going infinitely better than last year. Crops are mostly standing, so we are able to leave some standing stubble for the first time in years. Instead of scalping the dirt.

But when auto contour, or auto header height are engaged, it works fine until the first time either wand touches the ground, and lifts that corner up, it pushes the other side down, which pushes that rod which lifts that end, which pushes the first end down, and it rocks all the way down the field like that if you let it.
It didn't do this in flex mode, when the sensors are connected to the shoes instead of the wands, or if it did we couldn't tell because we ran it flat against the ground for the entirity of the last crop.
CAC sensitivity adjustment doesn't seem to have any affect on that.
Can't find any other adjustment in Cebis
I can adjust the linkages to the potentiometers so they have to be nearly bottomed out before it moves, but that defeats the purpose of trying to cut high.
The potentiometers don't seem to act like pots, more like on off switches, if you push the wand up manually, it is all or nothing. I assumed it should work by trying to keep the two pots the same, regardless of height. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
As is, can't even engage auto contour, unless I disconnect the potentiometers.
Is this just not a very well thought out design, or am I missing some adjustment or calibration? Or am I using this feature for a use it wasn't intended?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Doubt it would be the same but on my headsight system on a honeybee I had to turn the tilt sensitivity down to 15 out of 100 or it would do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only calibration I can find is Cutt. Height Limit. And I,ve done it successfully multiple times. I can't find any other calibrations or settings within Cebis.
Is there a restrictor on the valve that can be adjusted?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to run a maxflex on a 575. I had to disconnect the wand sensors from the harness, then run a harness/ set of wires to connect one wand sensor to the harness out on the end that is used for flex mode. My 575 did not have an updated hydraulic block. Something to do with it only being able to recognize a total of 2 sensors at any given time. To use flex mode I would unplug the wand and plug the flex sensor back in.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This header has only a single sensor on each end. To switch to flex mode, I have to remove the adjustable rod from the wands, and connect it to the flex skid shoes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe that in the Cebis there is a sensitivity factor that you can adjust. When I had a F540 it used to I call it duckwalk untill I lowered that setting and it straightened out.That was in my 580

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only setting we can find is CAC sensitivity, tried it all the way from 0 to 100, to no effect, only affects raising and lowering in auto contour.

I see there are two adjustable spools sticking out of the valve for the lateral tilt, assume one for clockwise, one for counterclockwise. Will try adjusting those to slow it down.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Your CAC sensitivity is the only adjustment you have. Let us know if adjusting the valves makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cranked the valves in yesterday morning, with cold oil. Timed the cycle time first, 7 seconds each way, cranked one turn, then two, then three, and the 7 seconds didn't change, but the oil was warming up too. Also lengthened the rods to the wands, which makes very little difference. Almost acts like it measures the difference from resting position, rather than actual potentiometer position.

End result was it still rocks at times, but calms down quickly and rocks much less drastically. Seems to be usable as is.

But I still don't udnerstnad why these wands have so much stroke if it only operates so close to the bottom end of the stroke?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We run a f540 on a 580. Couple of things you haven't mentioned: Assume you have the cutterbar / table drawn up all the way with the lock up bolts? Other big thing is the feederhouse faceplate angle - we run with it tilted all the way back when using the bands.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have most of the kinks worked out on the 585 and maxflex headers this year. Going infinitely better than last year. Crops are mostly standing, so we are able to leave some standing stubble for the first time in years. Instead of scalping the dirt.

But when auto contour, or auto header height are engaged, it works fine until the first time either wand touches the ground, and lifts that corner up, it pushes the other side down, which pushes that rod which lifts that end, which pushes the first end down, and it rocks all the way down the field like that if you let it.
It didn't do this in flex mode, when the sensors are connected to the shoes instead of the wands, or if it did we couldn't tell because we ran it flat against the ground for the entirity of the last crop.
CAC sensitivity adjustment doesn't seem to have any affect on that.
Can't find any other adjustment in Cebis
I can adjust the linkages to the potentiometers so they have to be nearly bottomed out before it moves, but that defeats the purpose of trying to cut high.
The potentiometers don't seem to act like pots, more like on off switches, if you push the wand up manually, it is all or nothing. I assumed it should work by trying to keep the two pots the same, regardless of height. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
As is, can't even engage auto contour, unless I disconnect the potentiometers.
Is this just not a very well thought out design, or am I missing some adjustment or calibration? Or am I using this feature for a use it wasn't intended?
some info from the Airflex quickstart guide on the Honey Bee website...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, the 585 doesn't have all of those menu choices.
I hadn't gone into header end stops before, I didn't realize what that was. That may solve the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We had a similar problem with our 585 and MaxFlex. I would check your sensor linkage rods for correct length, and make sure both sensors are working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts