The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a commercial Ag GPS system that directly measures overlap amount in real time?

Not by subtracting unpainted area from the boundary area - how most of them do it. This is determining overlap based on other measurements. It should be able to do it without a boundary, by using coverage mapping on its own. AFAIK no commercial systems do it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
in real time like straight in track zero overlap and ten feet overlap on 100 feet application width = 10%. Or a running total of overlap? Either way I don’t think Trimble does but have never really looked either. We know all our boundary acres so it’s pretty easy math applied-boundary.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in real time like straight in track zero overlap and ten feet overlap on 100 feet application width = 10%. Or a running total of overlap? Either way I don’t think Trimble does but have never really looked either. We know all our boundary acres so it’s pretty easy math applied-boundary.
But you don't know that until you are done the field, which is not real time.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know. So what is it running total or %overlap at that instant your looking for?

And furthermore why?
Can do both but mostly total of applied. As to why, that's a secret for now.

There are no systems that can actually measure overlap without a boundary i am aware of, is why i am asking

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
As stated above, unless I’m missing something, our X30 will tell us what percentage we are saving by using sectional control. So it knows what we have covered, and knows the overlap area to come up with that. We do not use boundaries

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As stated above, unless I’m missing something, our X30 will tell us what percentage we are saving by using sectional control. So it knows what we have covered, and knows the overlap area to come up with that. We do not use boundaries
That's a bit of a contrived number when it comes to true overlap. It would just extend the triangle assuming the entire width is one section. It doesn't know if you are overlapping 1 ft or 10 feet of that 10 foot section for example. Let alone if you made a second pass on the same surface - for example by putting it in manual application it wouldn't work at all. Right in the manual it says you need a boundary to calculate true overlap area.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Been doing a lot on overlap etc. Interesting field, one is done with 3x3m sections, one is single 9m section. Using AB Curve and the full auto headland mode, and headlands finished last. Difference in overlap? 3.29% for section control, 4.61% for single tool. I'll have to play around with some of our own fields and see how they work out with/without section control.

BTW, this new version does accurate headland section control as well as accurate hydraulic lift / lower. I think maybe section control is possibly second to good initial field planning. Oh well, kinda interesting.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
That field looks pretty easy to farm to me. Still is interesting results. If you want some fields with lots of overlap I could give you some.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Pick any irrigated circle in southern Alberta. A circle with a wet spot in the middle. Always lots of overlap on those fields!

With 7 sections on a 120' boom, the overlap on average circle with end gun zones is about 2%. I bet some calculus could figure out my approximate overlap waste with my single-section air drill!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Just a word of caution about sectional control off and on timing. It’s quite easy to trim the timing to almost eliminate overlap, but, especially when going on and off right angle headlands it’s very easy to accidentally set a wide and long zone of plant underpopulation just inside the headland. This can be hard to detect without counting the plants in the row after emergence. By the time you can see this from the sprayer, you have likely cost yourself some money by trying to save it with risky flow timing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The topography will ad more acers to the field vs the boundary on the gps. More hills more land. Like haystack said timing. On off is a big factor.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Sure but Brian's not using a boundary to calculate this. He's using measured coverage (including areas that get covered multiple times). Sure big hills might not be accounted for and skew the numbers a bit. We all recognize that exact boundary acres is a minimum, not the exact total, though if a GIS program had a good topography model I'm sure it could calculate a more realistic surface area. As for missing a little bit along an edge, good point, but so far the section control that is already in AOG doesn't seem to have huge issues with tiny misses.

As for the section lookahead, yes Brian's well aware of those things. For me reducing overlap from 30 feet (which is typical on the air drill doing it all manually) to 10 feet would be a huge improvement, and I'm confident that can be done without missing.

Pretty impressive stuff, Brian! Wish I wasn't so ADD about my interests. Instead I work on lots of little projects that often don't amount to anything!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On off timing is quite important for seeding. We have 2 rows of discs so crossing the line of interest the seed fert starts coming out of the openers in the middle of those 2 rows. Has completely eliminated lodging at the headlands yet still has crop cover.

I'm curious with section controlled seeding, if the rest of the drill is still in the ground and "tilling" 50 feet of what has been already seeded, and 10 feet are seeding, does that affect germination/crop growth in the tilled part?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts