The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this,what kind of ratio of water and 46-0-0 did you use.How many pounds of N are you able to spray on,looking to put 30 to 40 pounds of N on.One guy told us that was impossible.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
yes, i heard one guy doing it, he said he had less leaf burn than 28-00, but he to set up a few tanks and constantly circulate product to prevent frezzing, i will quiz him on how much water he used

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
I think that it works out to be about 20% N (it can dissolve at higher concentrations, but it requires work). So more water than putting on 28 0 0. Might just be able to water down your 28 and have the same results.

UAN will also not gas off as badly as urea, so that has to be considered.

Here is a segment from U of Mn.

Fluid Urea
Uniformity of particle size is important with dry solid urea, whether applied directly or in blended formulations. Some imported urea appears to be below U.S. quality standards on granule uniformity. Dissolving urea and marketing the liquid solution is an attempt to overcome this lack of uniformity and still take advantage of the favorable urea price.

The liquid mix of urea and ammonium nitrate (UAN 28% N) has been on the market for a long time. The characteristics of this solution, however, are not the same as when urea alone is dissolved in water. A solution of 50% urea by weight results in 23-0-0 and has a salting-out temperature of 60 degrees F. In order to store and handle liquid urea during cooler temperatures, the nitrogen concentration must be lowered to reduce salting problems. There are several possible formulations that can be used for this, such as adding small amounts of ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, or anhydrous ammonia.

Research, particularly on liquid urea, is very limited. Generally, where dry urea functions successfully, the fluid urea should perform equally well and may have the advantage of better uniformity over some dry urea sources.

Fertilizer Urea

Make sure you figure out all your costs if you want to try it. I imagine that UAN will be very similar in cost by the time you get everything done. Unless UAN is not available in your area.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Can you get your hands on ammonium nitrate? 34-0-0 It is a much higher grade fertilizer than 46-0-0 (urea) and from my understanding you can put less on and get the same results. Plus ammonium nitrate dissolves quite easily with a chem handler from my experience.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Can you get your hands on ammonium nitrate? 34-0-0 It is a much higher grade fertilizer than 46-0-0 (urea) and from my understanding you can put less on and get the same results. Plus ammonium nitrate dissolves quite easily with a chem handler from my experience.
34% vs 46% and you put less pound with the 34%??? I don't know if my math is wrong but it would make sense that you would have to put more 34% to end up with the same units of N as for the 46%.

We used some 34-0-0 for our starter blends but ended up switching for 27% because there was too much powder in the 34 and we were having problems with the planter.

Why not just broadcasting your 46%? if you do it before a little rain it doesn't burn too much

In Quebec we use this machine to put our starter in and then shift the disc, take off the planter and sidedress dry urea. Works pretty good!

·
Registered
717 Posts
We have done it for a couple years already. We put 4.5 tonnes of 46 0 0 for 6000us gallons of water. Then spray on 7 gals an acre witch gives us about 5 pounds of N per ac. Dont think you could go much more then that without heating the water at the same time. We mix this blend with 3000 liters of alpine to give us another 2 liters of phos. per ac. We mix it in with all of our herbicides and fungicides. :)

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
What kind of tips do you use harvestmoon? Streamers or is it fine with fans?

With 28, 7 gallons gives you ~20 lbs. I imagine if you would dilute 28 to the same concentration, it would be much more crop safe as well.

In looking to get 30 to 40 lbs of N on with that concentration, you would need between 40 and 60 gallons per acre of mix to achieve that rate.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Since Oklahoma City, ammonium nitrate is pretty hard to come by here in the US. Nobody wants to handle it.

If you need hot water to melt urea, a little anhydrous into a tank of water makes hot water pretty quick.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not a chemist, but bubbling ammonia vapor into water captures the vapor in solution and makes the water get warm.

If you put in liquid ammonia, the refrigerating effect probably would counteract the heating from making the solution.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ammonium nitrate is a much higher quality fertilizer than urea. Urea, 46-0-0, is teck grade...the lowest quality. Whereas 34-0-0 is industrial grade which is a purer, higher quality product...to get the same amount of energy you should need less of it. So yes the amount of product is less as farmer 4 ever states. But its more about the energy that is available in the product...not all fertilizer is equal.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
You need the same amount of N to make a bushel of grain no matter where it comes from. Urea just will gas off more than ammonium nitrate because 1/2 of the N in AN is in the nitrate form.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Das,

We liquefied Urea (46% of N) and would apply it as soil injection for Pre-Plant Nitrogen and Foliar application when growing cotton, sorghum and wheat. But I have not the figures with me nor off the top of my head so i'll put up another post within the week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts