The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Curious as well. Was the 14" no good, why did they go to the 13" . I always thought 14" was a good compromise between 16 and 13.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Problem was the 12 wasn’t keeping up to the other brands I was told. They were due for a redesign and decided to go the same size as everybody else.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How are the new 13” augers panning out ?
farm king 13x85 is within $1000 of the meridian in same size. Where are you spending your money ?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I have a 14-115 and I can say unequivocally that it is the worst piece of equipment I’ve ever owned and based on my experience with the garbage people that work at that garbage company, if I was drowning in the ocean and someone from meridian were the only person who could throw me a rope, I would choose to drown.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I think AGI owns nearly all of them now. Wheat Heart, Meridian, Westfield, Grain-Maxx. Great for farmers, increases choice and competition in the market! Yup.

Farm King and Brandt are still remaining I think.

Sure hope AGI doesn't screw up Grain-Maxx. We sure love our 85' 13".

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Have a 1070 Farm King and 1070 Meridian, both 2019s. Should have bought a 2nd Farm King and not the Meridian. Side by side the FK is faster unloading into the same size bin out of the same size trailer. The Meridian doesn't have the top sway as bad lowing into the bin but that is it. Love the 1039 load out Meridian but they should have just stayed with straight augers not swings.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I think AGI owns nearly all of them now. Wheat Heart, Meridian, Westfield, Grain-Maxx. Great for farmers, increases choice and competition in the market! Yup.

Farm King and Brandt are still remaining I think.

Sure hope AGI doesn't screw up Grain-Maxx. We sure love our 85' 13".
Are you sure they own Meridian? Pretty sure meridian is owned by WGI, a steel company

·
Registered
753 Posts
Kaup farmer , what happen to your meridian that you have such a strong negative opinion on?. I have all three mentioned above except for a brandt. I like the farmking the best and is my go to auger except when I am doing oats, when I like having extra augers set up to bins so nothing gets bottle necked. Most of the time my auger complaints are due to shotty assembly of augers done at retail outlets. You know its amazing what one loose nut can cause!lol . I thought from experience the sakundiak/Meridian auger was the smoothest running out of westfield and farmking and also the 10-46 hd was quieter than the westfield. I like the backsaver idea from farmking and the frame .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How are the new 13” augers panning out ?
farm king 13x85 is within $1000 of the meridian in same size. Where are you spending your money ?
When I inquired about them last year, stock was near non-existent until after harvest. Also heard when talking with dealers about some problems with the first batch of auger in 2019. Asked around this year with five different dealers and none were too excited about selling one as they seemed to have issues again in 2020. I can't remember offhand what the issues pertained to either.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We have both on the farm right now but in 10”. The meridian is quiet but slow. The farm king is fast but loud compared to the meridian. Doesn’t bother me.
I like the design of both new augers. I just see that the meridian claims 13000bu hr vs the farm king at 10000bu/hr.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Meridian bought the company harvest augers.

H-XT Swing Auger Series - Harvest by Meridian Manufacturing | Harvest by Meridian Manufacturing

I think their "new" 13" auger is actually a harvest auger. I had one and i can say that it was a great day when it left the farm.....the auger had so many problems. It was covered from warranty but after a while they gave up and brought me a new auger to solve the problems. It did not take long to find out that the new auger had the same problems like the old one. If it is still the same auger like a few years ago.....i would not touch it.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Got a new 10-72 meridian last year but quickly found out that the 30 year old, wore out, patched 10" Westfield moved grain faster, quicker to setup, no movement of spout when lining up with bin then lowering hopper, and can kick hopper around with my foot. The Meridian is no doubt heavier built, bigger tube, impressive to look at, etc but if I want to hook on an auger, position it at a bin, and unload a truck and wanted to do that all fast then the wore out Westfield wins hands down. The single auger trough likely damages fewer peas too.

What do guys run their auger speed at. 10" meridian says 450 rpm, larger ones say 400. I have run the old Westfield quite consistently at 600 rpm and more if in a hurry. Have run the Meridian up around 500 rpm but still not impressing me, this harvest will try faster.

Really thought a new auger would blow away a wore out one on all counts. Badly surprised.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We actually read the gear box on our 10x72 and said to run at 400rpm. Did the math and was under 1800 rpm . Something like 1500-1600. Tried that speed on the 6150 Deere and it didn’t make a difference for slower or faster grain movement out of tandems.
totally agree on everything you said about the 10x72.
We have 10x60 westeel and farm king and are way faster. I know they are shorter. The FK has hydraulic swing, would never get again. The kramble electric mover is nice

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
We looked at the Meridian 13” last year but I researched it on this forum and found nothing but bad complaints, so we didn’t buy it.

Talked to a friend who has 2 buddies who owned Grainmaxx extends and both say they loved it. So we looked it Grainmaxx 13x85 and bought one of them instead (not the extend reach, to much money) Nice auger, runs smooth, built like a tank and I love you can move the axles out for more stability when in a tall bin.

Really like our old Westfield 13x71 but couldn’t reach our wet bin. Simple easy to use, just works. We only unload with the tractor engine rpms at 1200-1300, it keeps things quieter.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Kaup farmer , what happen to your meridian that you have such a strong negative opinion on?. I have all three mentioned above except for a brandt. I like the farmking the best and is my go to auger except when I am doing oats, when I like having extra augers set up to bins so nothing gets bottle necked. Most of the time my auger complaints are due to shotty assembly of augers done at retail outlets. You know its amazing what one loose nut can cause!lol . I thought from experience the sakundiak/Meridian auger was the smoothest running out of westfield and farmking and also the 10-46 hd was quieter than the westfield. I like the backsaver idea from farmking and the frame .
It is quite a saga. There will be a lotta fire flinging in this post. First I’ll say when it ran, it was fine. Very smooth running auger.

I bought this auger against my friends advice (very dumb of me) as it was being blown out by the local co-op because they couldnt sell it, had been sitting in the yard for two years. Probably the primary reason they couldn’t sell it is because it is their original version of the extendable swing that they stopped production on. To be honest, the swing part worked awesome but it is very heavy and completely takes away your vision when you move the auger, a combination that would make transporting the auger from yard to yard terrible. But this auger got moved to our bin yard and has never left so that wasnt too big of a concern.

The auger came with two years of warranty and the first season we had no issues. It augered about 400k bushels with no issue. Come year 2 we noticed that a major bend was forming where the swing hangs off the auger, about 17 feet up from the base. The bow was forming because the auger simply was not engineered heavy enough to support the swing, even though all it had ever had to do was move from one bin to another in a straight row. I mentioned this to the local co-op and they said they’d get it looked at, but that never happened. So into harvest we used it as it was, it and our conveyor are the only two things that could reach the top of our bigger bins. In harvest the boys plugged it up once and instead of the shear bolt snapping it actually peeled the flighting back at the top a little bit. Admittedly, these augers have ‘blow out‘ doors at the top to prevent plugs but one of my guys installed the spout incorrectly and it was blocking the doors…but theres still a shear bolt for a reason! It was still useable and we didnt have much of an alternative option, so we just ran it slower and it was working fine. Auger got through harvest and we had a little bit of grain to move around afterwards. Starting moving the grain, and I was there when this part happened, the guys cracked the gates and went to rev up the tractor before opening gates to capacity and BANG. Plugged **** stiff even though it was running at maybe 40% capacity, upon a little investigation we found out that the flighting had snapped somewhere in the middle of the auger.

We then contacted co-op, this was beginning of October, and they said they’d get someone on it, and that it should be a warranty situation. Nearly a month later someone finally shows up, the guy who assembles these augers for the co-op. They tear the auger apart and lo and behold it is snapped, right about 17 feet up! HUH WONDER WHY THAT COULD BE, COULDNT BE THE BOW IN THE GOD DAMN AUGER! Also, the break it perfectly flat about 7/8 around the shaft and then ripped off, indicating that a hairline crack had been forming for a while before it finally ripped apart, something anyone who has ever worked with metal should be able to determine (would surely think a guy who runs an assembly shop could understand that!). The guy who tore it apart, Ben Klassen of JED Assemblies, was very sure to point out that the flighting is peeled back a little at the top, seemingly ignoring the clear nature of why it broke. I didnt think anything about it as any moron could see that that is not what caused it to break, PRETTY CLEARLY BROKE BECAUSE THE AUGER IS BOWED FROM TERRIBLE ****TY ENGINEERING… but alas…. FIVE MONTHS pass, and not a word about how they are going to proceed with fixing the auger, still assuming it was under warranty as we were originally told. I start hounding the co-op looking for answers and finally at the end of APRIL (remember, this started at the beginning of OCTOBER) someone from Meridian calls to get my email to send me a quote (straight to quote, didnt even have the decency to call and explain what and why this was happening) for over ELEVEN THOUSAND dollars to replace all the flighting (even though only one section needed replacing)…and also they acknowledged the bent tube and they will replace that…with me paying the labor... and a kicker, I had to pay in full before they would even manufacture the parts! I then lose my mind and tell them where they can shove their ****ing flighting. Off I went to let the twitter world know about how awful Meridian and their augers are. Another month goes by with no response from Meridian. I then send an email asking them to send the tube. About a week later I receive a letter head from the ‘Senior Vice President’ Glenn Friesen, insinuating that I was lying about them on twitter and explaining that the auger broke because we plugged it (BULLSHIT!! Also Ben Klassen is a dumb as hell moron if that is what his conclusion was) and that we should take more responsibility and also should watch our mouth when insulting a company ‘that has been in business for 65 years’. It was frankly the most ridiculous **** I’ve ever read and I wish I could get in a room with Mr Glenn Friesen.

Not covering warranty and all that was super ****ty, but much worse it that it was SIX MONTHS! from the time we called co-op until they finally gave us any answer! AND THEN TWO MORE to get further responses! What kinda company runs like this!!!

We have since ordered the one piece of flighting we need (they already sent the wrong one now) and are going to fix it ourselves if it ever shows up! And then this thing is going to auction. Gonna get killed on it but absolutely do not care. Will NEVER EVER do business with that GARBAGE company again. We also have stopped doing all business with the Co-op, fuel and everything shut off. Ridiculous support from them as well.

There is a Brandt auger sitting in the yard now.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I put my name on a new meridian 14x95. Maybe I should take it off. Just thought the 14” would never have to worry about the tandem getting dumped too fast and plugging the auger. I have a 13x70 farm king that is 10 years old. Never broke anything on it yet,except a grease nipple.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is quite a saga. There will be a lotta fire flinging in this post. First I’ll say when it ran, it was fine. Very smooth running auger.

I bought this auger against my friends advice (very dumb of me) as it was being blown out by the local co-op because they couldnt sell it, had been sitting in the yard for two years. Probably the primary reason they couldn’t sell it is because it is their original version of the extendable swing that they stopped production on. To be honest, the swing part worked awesome but it is very heavy and completely takes away your vision when you move the auger, a combination that would make transporting the auger from yard to yard terrible. But this auger got moved to our bin yard and has never left so that wasnt too big of a concern.

The auger came with two years of warranty and the first season we had no issues. It augered about 400k bushels with no issue. Come year 2 we noticed that a major bend was forming where the swing hangs off the auger, about 17 feet up from the base. The bow was forming because the auger simply was not engineered heavy enough to support the swing, even though all it had ever had to do was move from one bin to another in a straight row. I mentioned this to the local co-op and they said they’d get it looked at, but that never happened. So into harvest we used it as it was, it and our conveyor are the only two things that could reach the top of our bigger bins. In harvest the boys plugged it up once and instead of the shear bolt snapping it actually peeled the flighting back at the top a little bit. Admittedly, these augers have ‘blow out‘ doors at the top to prevent plugs but one of my guys installed the spout incorrectly and it was blocking the doors…but theres still a shear bolt for a reason! It was still useable and we didnt have much of an alternative option, so we just ran it slower and it was working fine. Auger got through harvest and we had a little bit of grain to move around afterwards. Starting moving the grain, and I was there when this part happened, the guys cracked the gates and went to rev up the tractor before opening gates to capacity and BANG. Plugged **** stiff even though it was running at maybe 40% capacity, upon a little investigation we found out that the flighting had snapped somewhere in the middle of the auger.

We then contacted co-op, this was beginning of October, and they said they’d get someone on it, and that it should be a warranty situation. Nearly a month later someone finally shows up, the guy who assembles these augers for the co-op. They tear the auger apart and lo and behold it is snapped, right about 17 feet up! HUH WONDER WHY THAT COULD BE, COULDNT BE THE BOW IN THE GOD DAMN AUGER! Also, the break it perfectly flat about 7/8 around the shaft and then ripped off, indicating that a hairline crack had been forming for a while before it finally ripped apart, something anyone who has ever worked with metal should be able to determine (would surely think a guy who runs an assembly shop could understand that!). The guy who tore it apart, Ben Klassen of JED Assemblies, was very sure to point out that the flighting is peeled back a little at the top, seemingly ignoring the clear nature of why it broke. I didnt think anything about it as any moron could see that that is not what caused it to break, PRETTY CLEARLY BROKE BECAUSE THE AUGER IS BOWED FROM TERRIBLE *TY ENGINEERING… but alas…. FIVE MONTHS pass, and not a word about how they are going to proceed with fixing the auger, still assuming it was under warranty as we were originally told. I start hounding the co-op looking for answers and finally at the end of APRIL (remember, this started at the beginning of OCTOBER) someone from Meridian calls to get my email to send me a quote (straight to quote, didnt even have the decency to call and explain what and why this was happening) for over ELEVEN THOUSAND dollars to replace all the flighting (even though only one section needed replacing)…and also they acknowledged the bent tube and they will replace that…with me paying the labor... and a kicker, I had to pay in full before they would even manufacture the parts! I then lose my mind and tell them where they can shove their ****ing flighting. Off I went to let the twitter world know about how awful Meridian and their augers are. Another month goes by with no response from Meridian. I then send an email asking them to send the tube. About a week later I receive a letter head from the ‘Senior Vice President’ Glenn Friesen, insinuating that I was lying about them on twitter and explaining that the auger broke because we plugged it (BULLSHIT!! Also Ben Klassen is a dumb as hell moron if that is what his conclusion was) and that we should take more responsibility and also should watch our mouth when insulting a company ‘that has been in business for 65 years’. It was frankly the most ridiculous * I’ve ever read and I wish I could get in a room with Mr Glenn Friesen.

Not covering warranty and all that was super ****ty, but much worse it that it was SIX MONTHS! from the time we called co-op until they finally gave us any answer! AND THEN TWO MORE to get further responses! What kinda company runs like this!!!

We have since ordered the one piece of flighting we need (they already sent the wrong one now) and are going to fix it ourselves if it ever shows up! And then this thing is going to auction. Gonna get killed on it but absolutely do not care. Will NEVER EVER do business with that GARBAGE company again. We also have stopped doing all business with the Co-op, fuel and everything shut off. Ridiculous support from them as well.

Tell us how you really feel

·
Registered
427 Posts

We then contacted co-op, this was beginning of October, and they said they’d get someone on it, and that it should be a warranty situation. Nearly a month later someone finally shows up, the guy who assembles these augers for the co-op. They tear the auger apart and lo and behold it is snapped, right about 17 feet up! HUH WONDER WHY THAT COULD BE, COULDNT BE THE BOW IN THE GOD DAMN AUGER! Also, the break it perfectly flat about 7/8 around the shaft and then ripped off, indicating that a hairline crack had been forming for a while before it finally ripped apart, something anyone who has ever worked with metal should be able to determine (would surely think a guy who runs an assembly shop could understand that!). The guy who tore it apart, Ben Klassen of JED Assemblies, was very sure to point out that the flighting is peeled back a little at the top, seemingly ignoring the clear nature of why it broke. I didnt think anything about it as any moron could see that that is not what caused it to break, PRETTY CLEARLY BROKE BECAUSE THE AUGER IS BOWED FROM TERRIBLE *TY ENGINEERING… but alas…. FIVE MONTHS pass, and not a word about how they are going to proceed with fixing the auger, still assuming it was under warranty as we were originally told. I start hounding the co-op looking for answers and finally at the end of APRIL (remember, this started at the beginning of OCTOBER) someone from Meridian calls to get my email to send me a quote (straight to quote, didnt even have the decency to call and explain what and why this was happening) for over ELEVEN THOUSAND dollars to replace all the flighting (even though only one section needed replacing)…and also they acknowledged the bent tube and they will replace that…with me paying the labor... and a kicker, I had to pay in full before they would even manufacture the parts! I then lose my mind and tell them where they can shove their ****ing flighting. Off I went to let the twitter world know about how awful Meridian and their augers are. Another month goes by with no response from Meridian. I then send an email asking them to send the tube. About a week later I receive a letter head from the ‘Senior Vice President’ Glenn Friesen, insinuating that I was lying about them on twitter and explaining that the auger broke because we plugged it (BULLSHIT!! Also Ben Klassen is a dumb as hell moron if that is what his conclusion was) and that we should take more responsibility and also should watch our mouth when insulting a company ‘that has been in business for 65 years’. It was frankly the most ridiculous * I’ve ever read and I wish I could get in a room with Mr Glenn Friesen.

Do these companies not realize that when they screw over a farmer they only end up screwing themselves in the end! We always talk to other farmers who own or have owned equipment we are interested in and get their opinions on reliability and customer service/warranty work from dealership and manufacturers!! I trust my fellow farmers for advice before I trust 90% of the salesman’s so called expertise and knowledge!!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Kauppfarms, actions like that from both the manufacturer and dealer really do boggle the mind from a long term business perspective and I can only speculate they are flying on the coat tails of 65 years in business and are afraid to start admitting fault for the design because they know what that could cost them short term. So trying to sell you parts to repair a unit to its original under designed status is certainly impressive, couldn't even go as far as giving you the parts, that is sad. If they had balls they would have been prompt in doing one of three things, repair it with updated parts that are strong enough, replace the whole auger with a new one that is designed properly or buy this auger back from you. I'm sure they will NOT agree with any of my thoughts but the fact is if a company backs their product well and over all has decent products but some goof ups along the way and is proactive in making it right, customers are going to buy that companies product. Obviously a farmers view point isn't the same as some companies bean counter view point !

1 - 20 of 60 Posts