The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
All these companies have become horrible at customer service and using Farmers as the R&D department. It doesn’t matter which color it is they all need attitude adjustment along with some dealers (Not all dealers but some do)

I’ve personally fought with new equipment that didn’t work for over a year because there was software issues and would lockup( Might be real dark green in color and you would have to stop and shut it off for 10sec and then start it up and carry on for 15min or a day or two till it locked up again). 😡

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Kauppfarms, actions like that from both the manufacturer and dealer really do boggle the mind from a long term business perspective and I can only speculate they are flying on the coat tails of 65 years in business and are afraid to start admitting fault for the design because they know what that could cost them short term. So trying to sell you parts to repair a unit to its original under designed status is certainly impressive, couldn't even go as far as giving you the parts, that is sad. If they had balls they would have been prompt in doing one of three things, repair it with updated parts that are strong enough, replace the whole auger with a new one that is designed properly or buy this auger back from you. I'm sure they will NOT agree with any of my thoughts but the fact is if a company backs their product well and over all has decent products but some goof ups along the way and is proactive in making it right, customers are going to buy that companies product. Obviously a farmers view point isn't the same as some companies bean counter view point !
The thing is they DID admit there was a design problem with the tube that supports the swing and that it needs to be updated/changed, and they’ll provide the part but not the labor. And of course the tube bowing isn’t the reason there was a clear hairline fracture formed in the shaft that eventually tore apart right at the spot the bow is worst in the tube, maybe the most ludicrous conclusion I have encountered. And again, and I want to stress how ridiculous the timeline has been dealing with this. October to April to Present! Nothing done! Crazy.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
The sakundiaks must be blowing a gasket, they were the best people to deal with, he would have brought you out a new one personally and apologize for the trouble
merdian bought sakundiak years ago just like Cnh screwed up flexicoil
We always ran Sakundiak when I was growing up for load out augers and I always considered them the best. I had heard anecdotally throw the grape vine that things had gone down hill since Meridian bought the company but I never imagined it could be this bad.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So you plugged a 13 inch auger , and it’s the augers fault that it broke - or wasn’t the same ? After moving 400,000 bushels flawlessly??

My 2 cents … The hairline crack formed when your boys plugged it , guessing she stalled the tractor - when the flighting can’t turn it torques up, she stalled the tractor before she broke … that’s why next time she went under load , she was 1:23 Chernobyl…

not sure I’d blame this one on meridian/Sakubdiak.. they make good augers, if I want junk, try a Westfield !! Lol

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
So you plugged a 13 inch auger , and it’s the augers fault that it broke - or wasn’t the same ? After moving 400,000 bushels flawlessly??

My 2 cents … The hairline crack formed when your boys plugged it , guessing she stalled the tractor - when the flighting can’t turn it torques up, she stalled the tractor before she broke … that’s why next time she went under load , she was 1:23 Chernobyl…

not sure I’d blame this one on meridian/Sakubdiak.. they make good augers, if I want junk, try a Westfield !! Lol
Then your 2 cents are worthless. Thanks for coming. I will stay with my conclusion that it formed because of the clear bend in the tubing at the exact spot of the crack that they admitted was an issue.

also clearly can’t read as I said it wasnt plugged up when it broke. Maybe don’t draw your own conclusions about tractors stalling and what not. Brainless reply.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Easy junior ,

You stated …. “ in harvest , your “boys “ plugged it up once !

so if it didn’t break the shear pins - the logical next step is it stalled the tractor … it does happen ..

Or what did it do upon plugging ? Apparently the blow out doors could not operate because of the spout being incorrect?

All in , I don’t give a fk… Just sayin - After reading your post.. I agree with meridian .. yes I can read !! Your trashing a good company ..
they fixed my augers over the years , maybe it’s your attitude …

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Easy junior ,

You stated …. “ in harvest , your “boys “ plugged it up once !

so if it didn’t break the shear pins - the logical next step is it stalled the tractor … it does happen ..

Or what did it do upon plugging ? Apparently the blow out doors could not operate because of the spout being incorrect?

All in , I don’t give a fk… Just sayin - After reading your post.. I agree with meridian .. yes I can read !! Your trashing a good company ..
they fixed my augers over the years , maybe it’s your attitude …
perhaps you didn’t read anything about the timeline but that is how a garbage company operates in my opinion. Also continuing to conveniently ignore the part about the bent tubing that Meridian admitted was an issue, and that being exactly where the hairline crack in the auger was but hell why would ya when you’re more interested in copping for them. And you’re right, plug ups do happen, ano I’m yet to see it wreck flighting, maybe it wasn’t the clearly under engineered tube that caused the hairline crack and instead they just use junk steel for flighting? Either way product still ****ing sucks, service is worse, and these thoughts of mine seem overwhelmingly consistent with everyone I know who has owned a Meridian unload auger.

Oh and if you’re impressed a brand new 50k auger worked well for 400,000 bushels then you have woefully low expectations.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Real ****ty design if the shear pin didn’t protect the auger. If the tractor stalled it indicates the load was less than the shear bolt.

Meridian always great in Sask, but awful service from my Co/op in Alberta also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn’t know warrenty covered a plugged auger !! Maybe my expectations are too low
First off your defending an auger that bends in the tubing from weight.
As far as plugged augers.... Honestly mistakes happen.
If I was kaupp and had an auger where it peels flighting instead of breaking shear pins and cant take the slightest bit of abuse I know I would be on here calling it a piece of [email protected]#t to anyone who asked.

·
Registered
447 Posts
How does a” little bit of abuse “ and denied warrenty go hand in hand ?? Please enlighten

than if it’s getting some abuse, and it breaks - it’s a piece of ship??? Lol ok

ever notice how much some augers drop when loaded going into a bin ? Engineered properly Steel can flex… the flighting has near a inch clearance in the tube

i just agree that the flighting broke because it got plugged , if meridian though different , they woulda fixed it …

·
Registered
21 Posts
How does a” little bit of abuse “ and denied warrenty go hand in hand ?? Please enlighten

than if it’s getting some abuse, and it breaks - it’s a piece of ship??? Lol ok

ever notice how much some augers drop when loaded going into a bin ? Engineered properly Steel can flex… the flighting has near a inch clearance in the tube

i just agree that the flighting broke because it got plugged , if meridian though different , they woulda fixed it …
No point in replying to this. Its getting a bit too troll type now. You know..... farmers should be sticking together against these ever enlarging companies, instead of trying to win arguments on here. But I dream.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Most auger tubes flex some but its over a very long span of auger tube and as well those augers that use cables to support the tubing require adjustments after they have taken a set due to loading as that would shorten the life of an auger to turn a blind eye to a drooping empty auger. The initial setup no doubt has a bearing on how the unit gets off to a good start or already is being compromised as I've seen some brand new augers sitting in lots with more droop then a properly tensioned auger in use. The auger tube flex is one thing but to have what is essentially a drive shaft inside the length of an auger being forced to curve as it turns and then have a weak tube structure that curves in a very short distance, its only a matter of time before the drive shaft ( the tube that the flighting is welded onto ) is going to fatigue and fail in that spot. Its like taking a large diameter cable and running it over a pulley block that has too small a diameter pulley's for the diameter of the cable, its going to bend the cable beyond its designed radius and the cable wires will stretch and break with far fewer cycle loads.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You bumped a 2 month old thread to defend a shortline company?

First stepping up for robbing richardson and now meridian? Next you're gonna tell us climate field view isnt actually the spawn of the devil? All hail our german corporate overlords?!?

Let's face it, ag stuff is all underbuilt trash. We re one step up from lawn and garden.

·
Registered
818 Posts
A slip clutch might help with twisted flights.The length of augers has increased but the core tubing has stayed the same. The lower drive flight should be heavier at least,repair five or six a year because of twisted cores hydraulic ,leaking and settling on bins, flipping or hitting objects. The criminal thing about auger manufacturers is in fall they won’t supply parts,not TIL nov or dec. If you have combines sitting because no auger parts you will buy an auger no matter the cost, this was told to me by a retired rep.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
**** it let’s burn there factory down

Reactions: Slashnburn2

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The engineering these past yrs has suffered extremely in the ag sector. I don't think any real world testing ever gets done. If you bought a rotary farm king cleaner with the fill auger attached you would avoid Farm King like the plague. Didn't even make it home with it and the 1/8" thick hitch plates that the hitch pin goes through were bent to the point I needed a hammer to pound the bolt out. Thank god I didn't have a hitch pin in there and used a bolt with a Stover nut and washers. The top tongue would have kept bending and sheared off the quick pin and that would have been the end of it or someones life on the highway. I put it in my Garage to cut those plates off and put 1/4" plates on. It was on the cement and the jack had a wheel on it. I figured I better move it closer to the welder so I push it by hand. The jack wheel hits a small stone on the cement and the jack mount folds up like a cheap suit. This is before it has even seen a bushel of grain. They put this big auger on this thing that takes 2 men and a bear to swing and manipulate in between the hopper legs on a bin and on my first use bend the crap out of the mount for the auger. I called Glenmore and they didn't know what to tell me. They told me to call Farm King. It fell on deaf ears when I asked for some kind of rebate or something. So I don't care what Farm King builds there will never be another piece with that name on it ever here. I have a Grain Maxx 13x 85 and my only complaint was the steel cable for lifting the hopper. I replaced that with a synthetic ATV #4500 rope and it is a perfect unit now. I see no reason not to buy another one. My MF 4610 100 hp tractor at high idle moves a pile of grain in a hurry. External gear boxes and drive shafts are a great feature every auger should have. I have plugged it with wet grain and instead of leaking grain all over the ground, to get it to move, without going through shear pins, you just disconnect the drive shaft for the swing and engage the pto. It emptys the auger tube and simply hook the swing shaft back up and your off to the races. This is a heavy built auger that will go the distance. Engineering that had common sense built these augers!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
The criminal thing about auger manufacturers is in fall they won’t supply parts,not TIL nov or dec. If you have combines sitting because no auger parts you will buy an auger no matter the cost, this was told to me by a retired rep.
Few yrs ago westfield brought an auger out at harvest when our new mkx160 went down, warranty etc. That auger never ended up leaving.

Still under built trash though

21 - 40 of 60 Posts