The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new 1040-45 size TLO auger. Which would you choose and why? I have a 20 year old 8" sakundiak and 10 year old 8" brandt already so quite familiar with both. Similar price! Would get them both fully loaded. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
We like our springland ult 40’s better than our meridian 12x40. Loads b’s in 15 to 20 minutes kolher gas engine, won’t rust as bad doing fert. And built in hopper. Als a lot nicer than dealing with a little Diesel engines in winter. AGI makes one similar to the springland too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I demoed 45 ft spring land and found engine stalled several times , it just isn’t enough .
unless you baby the gate on bin .
also it won’t fit under small hoppers.
edgeagro fits under any bin up to 27 ft hoppers

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We like our springland ult 40’s better than our meridian 12x40. Loads b’s in 15 to 20 minutes kolher gas engine, won’t rust as bad doing fert. And built in hopper. Als a lot nicer than dealing with a little Diesel engines in winter. AGI makes one similar to the springland too.
Gas auger engines aren’t the most fun things to deal With when it’s cold either.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I snagged a 10by46 meridian last summer and really like the heavy duty model with the dual front axil and all the lights on it. I decided to go with the 37 hp Vanguard because I was sick and tired of gas bleeding into the oil case on every single Kohler I have owned. Brandt is not to popular here in the Red River Valley, which is mostly westfield, farmking and meridian.
The meridian is hands down a better auger than westfield. I would also rate farm king as better quality than westfield. I have only owned these three so cant comment on brandt. However a few are starting to show up .
I noticed right away the Meridian augered beans quieter and has a higher capacity than the westfield. This difference alone sealed the deal as my ears always started ringing after that darn 10by 44 westfield augered beans.!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the Edge mover and Diesel engine on a Westfield 13" with their permanent hopper on bottom. Been great!
As for the diesel, I put a Webasto on it, Ready in 15 minutes at pretty much any temperature. Had a couple years now, no issues to speak of.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Back to the OP, the meridian is the solid option for truck loading augers and I'd also suggest going to the longer 46'. It allows more reach under hoppers, overtop of high exhaust stacks, or for filling smaller bins. Compared to the TL 10", the HD 10" using a slightly heavier frame, triple belt, and slightly heavier tube gauge. Avoid the kohler and stick with the vanguard motor.

Lots of suggestions for going to the larger 12" that is similar in price with more capacity and better longevity. If it fits your operation, go for it. Especially for moving grain around a dryer or getting another load to the elevator each day, that extra capacity is really nice.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Have a 10-46 Meridian with Vangaurd and super smooth and starts Easy. Put an Aluminum Hopper that stays on permanently and auger can be filled to max and makes for super fast filling

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T
Back to the OP, the meridian is the solid option for truck loading augers and I'd also suggest going to the longer 46'. It allows more reach under hoppers, overtop of high exhaust stacks, or for filling smaller bins. Compared to the TL 10", the HD 10" using a slightly heavier frame, triple belt, and slightly heavier tube gauge. Avoid the kohler and stick with the vanguard motor.

Lots of suggestions for going to the larger 12" that is similar in price with more capacity and better longevity. If it fits your operation, go for it. Especially for moving grain around a dryer or getting another load to the elevator each day, that extra capacity is really nice.

Thanks to all who have responded. Unfortunately a bunch of my hoppers are pretty low so even a 10" will be tight to get under so 12" or U trough might be very tight. I only use it for hoppers and canola normally as I have big flats which I use a swing away to unload normally.

Seem to be a lot of Pro Vanguard folks over Kohler!

Looking at a 10" HD46 meridian with 37hp efi vanguard. What kind of life expectancy should one expect out of those motors? Meridian has better lights and switches too.

THx

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
T

Thanks to all who have responded. Unfortunately a bunch of my hoppers are pretty low so even a 10" will be tight to get under so 12" or U trough might be very tight. I only use it for hoppers and canola normally as I have big flats which I use a swing away to unload normally.

Seem to be a lot of Pro Vanguard folks over Kohler!

Looking at a 10" HD46 meridian with 37hp efi vanguard. What kind of life expectancy should one expect out of those motors? Meridian has better lights and switches too.

THx
I bought a 10x46hd meridian 3 years ago I asked about the EFI engine but the dealer said they had some trouble with them and went back to just the regular carbed engines. Maybe the efi are working better now. An auger engine seems to be one of the most neglected things maintenance wise so the less to go wrong the better.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Everyone appreciates fast loading for sure, but if you load too fast the trucks air suspension can’t react fast enough and you end up with overweight axle groups. This is why there are piles of grain in every pullout between Winnipeg and Vancouver across the country. Those piles of grain are a direct loss to the farmer.
10” is perfect I feel, manageable by yourself, and air gauges can follow the loading in real time. A few more minutes is not a big deal. 8” is definitely too slow.

·
Registered
647 Posts
What kind of life expectancy should one expect out of those motors? Meridian has better lights and switches too.
I have only used my 10 by 46 HD for the second year now, but that said I had no gas blow thru into the oil pan so I would assume that will improve the performance of the vanguard over the years. Another advantage with the double front axil is the auger is balanced nicely and it moves smoothly thru snow or minor ruts in the yard. I have been really impressed.

If you are worried about hopper bottom clearance maybe a 8 by 46 is ok for your use and those are a bit cheaper. I know I had some clearance problems with my 10 inch on some hoppers and I ended up finding a less bulky plastic hopper.

Oh and another thing you will like about the vanguard is the digital rpm gauge. At least with the tach , you have a measurement of engine performance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts