The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting erratic rpm reading on the metering roller doing canola. Approximate readings from 5.8 back down to 2.7 then 1.1 then zero then repeat but may briefly hold steady. Usually run 1.1 to 1.2 Worked fine before running inoculant/soybeans. Replace a bearing on the metering roller but that didn't change. Switched sensors, no change. Going to clean all cable connections in the morning. Anyone ever had one of those metering drive systems apart ? What's in there ? when cranking by hand and holding onto the output side it does not appear to be slipping but need to know for sure as I don't want gaps in the field. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It needs to be rebuilt or a new one. The shaft that drives the roll has two cams? on it, when they go one way they release and pull in the other direction. One releases as the other one pulls the shaft. There is a name for this type pf drive which escapes me at the moment. I tore mine apart last year as it seized up, I just cleaned it up and it works but is maybe a bit off. I put it on the fert. tank, Canola needs to be precise.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
There is lots of dollar signs in there waiting to escape, but not too hard to rebuild. You will notice them starting to fail when doing canola or wide open for fertilizer, sounds like the problem with yours. Easy enough to tell after 10 acres tho and the tank still has canola in it. The most important thing is all the roller need to turn freely. It normally takes almost no effort to turn both meters.

The other thing could be your little sprocket has moved away from the center of the sensor, but again, the "if the bag isn't gone in 10 acres" test tells the story.

They are called the wiggle woggle box. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
If the bag isn't gone in 10 acres is your problem, replace the flexicoil gearbox with a zero_max gearbox. Brandnew, cheaper than a flexicoil rebuild. Bit of fabricating, but would be worth the effort.

·
Registered
429 Posts
We seem to have the exact same type of reading when applying granular innoculant. Only seems to do it on minimal settings. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Seems to work fine just the reading is erratic. Sometimes it just sits on zero but we have watched it like this and the roller is turning. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Over running clutch is one description for these meter systems. Or sprague clutch. It consists of a little needle bearing looking unit ( like a Torrington bearing) that has rollers that are spring loaded and grips the shaft it sits on to rotate in one direction and slips the other way. With two of these lever and bearing units alternately oscillating back and forth they turn the shaft in the center at different speeds depending on the length of stroke you set on the outside. I would try to determine for sure if your meters are actually turning erratically and/or stopping or if it is just an intermittent speed sensor problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using the fine roller... should have bought the extra fine for canola years ago but have had no problems just annoying to get the right setting sometimes. Today its working good which leads me to believe it was an electrical problem likely brought on by the heat we are having. I remember having problems with the fan speed readout years ago... then weather cooled down and no problem with that since. Thanks for all the replies, I'll take the drive apart this winter just for the experience.... only one good big day left and we're finished this year.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I purchased a 787 this year, from what I understand the metering is the same. I had the same issues putting on 15# an acre (4 setting/Alfalfa), but ran out of seed when expected. It appeared the shaft paused when I was cranking the handle too (normal?). Wheat and soybeans I primarily used only the rear tank and don't think there was the issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having the exact same problem on a 3430 mechanical. Worked fine for the first 75% of the season. Now my big tank, which is putting out most of my blend has an erratic rate reading. From 100lbs to 240lbs. All the drive boxes are freshly rebuilt and working fine. Rates are accurate. Have a camera watching tank 1 drive for safe measure. I think it's the sounding ring distance from the sensor. I've been ignoring my readings. Other tank rates are rock solid.

·
Super Moderator
2,644 Posts
Using the fine roller
Likely your entire problem.
At 1.1 to 1.2 rpm a target is read every just under two seconds (30 targets on a wheel) it’s simply too slow/too few targets for stable computing.
With only 6 flutes (I think?) I’m surprised a fine meter gives even enough metering for even crop at such slow meter speed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I run the extra fine roller and it runs at 3.8 rpm. Still get errors on the speed. So I'm looking into the segmented rollers. They would allow the speed to be higher so the errors would hopefully go away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
segmented meter roller

I run the extra fine roller and it runs at 3.8 rpm. Still get errors on the speed. So I'm looking into the segmented rollers. They would allow the speed to be higher so the errors would hopefully go away.
The segmented meter roller sections are only intended to be used for large seeds such as corn, soybeans, sunflowers etc.. Use of the segmented sections on seeds such as canola, milo or other small fine seeds can result in product being pulled over the meter roller, when the roller is not turning, due to the large open area in the segmented sections.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Had this problem many years ago on our old flexi seeder . Changed the sprags that run on the shaft and it went away . Was hard to diagnose as it was intermittent and with the shaft doing only very small movements was hard to notice but the meter did .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts