The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a x4 675 that needs the bearings in the pivot housing replaced, the manual says "remove top cover" easier said than done,
Handwriting Font Drawing Writing Art

you can see from the diagram that there should be nothing holding it on. But 40 years of rust seems to be winning. the top on mine has a greasing nipple on the top which isn't on the diagram am I wrong in presuming that it is the same. And any suggestions on how I can get the thing to come off so I replace the bearings. I don't have a torch to heat it and to tell the truth a little reticent to use a torch on it if I can't get it off. I have tried using thin chisels on it but to no avail.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm not sure if that model was even offered in north america.
What front axle is in it?
There should be a tag on the front axle assembly showing a MF part number and quite often they were Dana Italy made axles.
If it is a Dana axle it very well could be the cap is rusted.
Any extra threaded holes in the cap to thread in bolts to help pull the cap from the housing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is another diagram that looks more like my axle category 2

I'm not sure if that model was even offered in north america.
What front axle is in it?
There should be a tag on the front axle assembly showing a MF part number and quite often they were Dana Italy made axles.
If it is a Dana axle it very well could be the cap is rusted.
Any extra threaded holes in the cap to thread in bolts to help pull the cap from the housing?
[/QUOTE]

I live in Sweden, but as I'm dual nationality, originally English, English speaking web sites are easier for me to understand the technical jargon. It is a category 2 axle, don't think it is a Dana, they seem to be on later models, it is a 1986 year. unfortunately the cap has no threads in it. It looks as if I am going to have to replace the ball joints to the steering rack and get it done by the local mechanics after the summer which will cost and arm, a leg and probably a kidney as well.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts