The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may sound strange, but here goes:

We currently run a Deere 6600, though we won't be using it this fall. We spend more time under it than in it. We've found a MF 750 that is in our price range, with a replaced radiator (I've heard that's good). My father ran a 550 back when they were near-new, but we've never experienced a MF since then (Had the 6600 since 1988).

We like the machine, but it comes with a 24' header. That's too large for us. We have a 15' on the 6600, and that seems to be about right. We could go a little larger, but a 24' header is too much.

So, what's the smallest head that we could run? We only do barley, wheat, and oats, so we don't need a pickup or corn head.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An 18' could work, but the 24' header would easily overwhelm our older MF 124 baler (We bale all of our straw).

We're baling in 2nd/Under on our White with the header on the 6600. We can't go slow enough with a header that large.

·
Registered
16 Posts
question on a 750

Can anyone tell me what the right price for a 1973 750 would be? I have found one for under 4000 with 2500 engine hours on it. It is a gear drive with a 24' header and appears to be in good shape. Going to use it to cut about 400 acres of wheat this summer, and wanted to know if buying this old of a machine is dangerous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prices will be regional, but that sounds a little high to me (Unless it's at a dealership). I wouldn't say it's too far off, though. Will you have to have it shipped? That can ruin a deal quickly!

So, is an 18' the smallest header for a 750?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey thanks matador...I was going to talk him down a little, and no on the shipping. I will have to road it to my place. It is an hour and a half by car. I appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a problem! Out here, though, there aren't a lot of Masseys or Gleaners. I only know of one farm that runs 860s. Everyone else is on John Deere 9500s or the IH Axials. It'll depend on your reason.

The one that I'm looking at- the seller thinks it's a 1979. Here's what he says about it:

"I have had the machine for maybe 8 years. I bought it from a fellow about 20 miles north east of me who was quitting farming for health reasons. I drove it home but after a few miles it started to overheat and I drove into a friends field. Discovered the radiator had a leak and had pumped a lot of the coolant out. I borrowed a combine trailer from a friend and hauled it the rest of the way home. I had a JD 4400 so didn't rush into repairing it until the next summer. Bought a rebuild kit for the engine and we rebuilt it, along with replacing the radiator with a good used one. It runs quite well, I've only harvested about 50 acres with it over the last 5 years. Probably not even broken in. It is sitting in my hay barn with about 50 bu of wheat in it. (wheat isn't included). The header is in pretty good shape and includes a header trailer with a couple tires I wouldn't trust to make it out of the county. It has no major leaks and everything works and it does a good job of harvesting.
Tires are good plus I have a spare drive tire for it. We never hooked up the AC but the blower does work. It is a gear machine. It was always a local machine. I don't know it's history but it looks good, not beat up or too faded considering it spent most of it's life sitting outside. It is a 1979 model, I believe. If you send me your e mail address I can e you some pictures of it.

Here are the photos of it:

What do you think? It comes with the header, but it's too large for our baler. To be honest, I kind of wish it didn't have the header. It'll be a two day trip for me to go and get it, and freight will cost a pretty penny.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the right price for a 1973 750 would be? I have found one for under 4000 with 2500 engine hours on it. It is a gear drive with a 24' header and appears to be in good shape. Going to use it to cut about 400 acres of wheat this summer, and wanted to know if buying this old of a machine is dangerous.
I have a '78 or '79 750 hydro with around 2500 hrs with 3 1859 big wobble box 20' heads and good tires I'll take half of that for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 750 in the picture is a 77 or older model. The 78 models got an newer style unloading auger and a round Cyclone radiator air intake behind the cab. The 79 and 80 models had the improved silver cabs.

Went to look at a 750 one time and the owner told me it was an 81 or 82. The 850 came out for 81. Had to tell the guy an 81 750 didn't exist.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Has it been outside, and how is the machine quality in general...pictures?? The three heads go at that price?
Yea it's been outside for a while since we quit using it and the heads go with it at that price. It needs a little work but not real bad. I'll even throw in all the old MF combine parts I can dig up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any major difference between the earlier 750s and the silver cab ones in terms of functionality?

I'm not too versed on the Massey machines- only one guy runs them out here.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm gonna play devils advocate here....but. Just be aware that the 550 was much like the older combines (which were good little machines!), the 750s are quite different. And every 750 I ever saw was fix or repair DAILY. I have 2 neighbors who are brothers. Grew up running Masseys--were dis hard Massey fans. One finally bought on old beat up JD 6600, the other kept (2) 750's. Guess who got more combined faster? The one with the 750s finally got so frustrated he went and bought a JD 9500. Know a couple other people with similar experiences. Around me you literally can't give away a MF 750 combine: local guy had a low hours grey top machine. It went for scrap. A 550 still brings fair money. Just our experience...your area might be different.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Other than the first pass around the field, couldn't you just overlap a bit so you are not cutting with all of the 24 foot head? Thus smaller rows for the baler?

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you cut significantly less, say 18', you have 12' feeding in from one side and only 6' coming in from the other. Doesn't feed the combine evenly, making it hard to do a good job of threshing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts