The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I got a CLAAS chopper that I want to fit on my MF 850. The problem is, there are some pulleys and fitting that isn't present on my combine. It got the axillary oil pump on the side, so I am thinking of modifying the chopper to be hydraulic driven.
I was wondering what should the chopper rpm be? Will probably need a bigger pump also for the motor.
Regards

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No-one knows what rpm the chopper should run at?:(

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Not sure on the rpm on a 860. My TX 66 spins at 3450 rpm. I think a hydro drive might not be the best idea. Take a lot of cooling capacity. And a fair size pump and motor. I'd lean toward a belt drive due to efficiency and ease of rigging.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thnx
Problem is... not a lot of scrapped mf850/860 lying around in southafrica that was factory fitted with a straw chopper. Our forefathers preferred a match:(.

Fitting a bigger oil tank and a oilcooler might be easier than trying to find parts, but I will have to phone around to see.
Regards

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea on what Hp requirement I need to be looking at?
10% of combine's Hp.... or more?
After talking to the hydraulic experts, they told me I need a piston motor for torque and rpm, gear motors won't cut it.

I can get a piston motor that will do the rpm, just need to make sure on the power, don't want to much of a overkill, but certainly don't want to little power. And so that they know what pump to couple to it for flow.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
On your right hand side, behind the rethresher, do you have a shield there? Is there a pully behind it?

The standard straw chopper runs at 3250 +/- 200 RPM

It's two belts and one extra pulley to put the chopper drive back on the 860s....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the problem... there's no pulleys:(
Can't find any from scrapped machines

·
Registered
175 Posts
chopper drive

I guess with enuf time and money you could make the hydraulic work but its not going to be an easy application. Even if you had the option to use an electric motor the high RPM handicaps. A two pole 25HP AC motor will only give you 35-40 ft.lbs T.
If u opt to go hydraulic drive it would behoove you to seperate this circuit from you other system.

Good luck in your endeavor,
Steelman

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Making things work

Ok, so after considering all options, hydraulic...to expensive, shipping used parts from Canada or USA...parts is cheap...shipping is really expensive. Decided to try and make all the parts from scratch.
Luckily I could look at one with a chopper, so was able to measure and copy all of the parts.
Here is some photos of progress

Made all the brackets, found some used pulleys at salvage yard.
The big pulley in picture had to be made up from scratch from 2 old used ones. Engineering shop in town did that. My lathe was to small to fit it .
Everything works as suppose to, no vibrations... yea!! Just have to find a rev counter to check rpm on chopper.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohh, and paint the chopper.

Just a question, for canola, do I retract the stationary knifes, or leave them like for wheat stubble?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Love that video of the 850 you can't beat the sound of the old turbo Perkins. can still remember my dad teaching me to drive it when I was 15. Was a big combine till we got a 865 then you had electric fan and cylinder adjustments in the cab

1 - 17 of 17 Posts