The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

I'm new here, and don't have much to contribute other than questions. Hopefully that will change with time!

I have a small farm in southern Ontario, and grow corn, soybeans, and some wheat. I've been relying on a friend who does some custom harvesting, but as his acreage, and my own have increased, I think it's time I get my own machine.

Now, I have a line on a MF 850, in good shape. However, it is in western Canada, and has never been in anything other than small grains. I notice in shopping around that there are some differences between the western and eastern models, such as beaters vs chains in the feeder house. Will this combine work for me, or will I have trouble in the crops we grow? Any other differences that could cause trouble?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know that you are looking at a 850, but we had a 760 that had paddles in the throat. We had very little trouble with that design, it is a little weaker when it comes to rocks. If the chains driving them didn't give when you encountered a foreign object, it would bend the paddle and the shaft at the drive sprockets. Cannot remember if the 850's had a limiting clutch for the feeder, being lots newer. But on the plus side for that design we did notice that it had a tendency to break up clumps and slugs before feeding it to the beater, where the feeder chain has the tendency to pin and hold the slug together. Another surprising characteristic was that we didn't have much wrapping of grass in soybeans. This was in the pre round-up era as well. Oh almost forgot, we harvest Wheat, Soybeans, and Corn. I think it will be a good machine if obtained for a good price.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you put four paddles on each shaft it will feed better and will not wrap in any condition. I did that to harvest alfalfa seed never wrapped again. The 850 should have blocks drilled on all four sides get the extra parts and bolt them on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I'm going to reconsider this deal... it's my father's combine and it's been sitting in his shed for the past 4 or 5 years, it's in good shape, and I know the machine well. However, the parts supply question scares me.

MCatSHF, the combine is not that far from you... only a couple hours west.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We run a 850 massey yet as a back up/second combine. We have no problem getting parts. only thing we've had problems with that we can't get new is the flywheel/pulley on the traction clutch. It's nla. Few peices here and there that are like that but most anything that commonly wears is still readily available. I rebuilt the clutch this fall. Walked into our local dealer and walked out with everything brand new except the flywheel. There are some parts that are designated as classic parts so that is a sign of what's to come but for right now we've had not trouble.

Never combined corn so I can't offer any advice there at all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The paddles machines are not so good in flax or linseed when they can wrap very badly ( been there done that)
They will handle it provided the crop is 100% fit.
On the other hand the beaters will do half the work of the drum when the crop is fit never ran an 850 but I have had an 860 pushing out over 30 tonne an hour in really good conditions

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't let the parts thing scare you too bad. We run a 540 which should be even harder to get parts for. We get most common parts like bearings, belts, and filters from local dealer. But we use Skorpik's in South Dakota for lots of parts. They have been great! They specialize in these old Masseys and after bout 30 seconds on phone they know exactly what your talking about. We even had stuff overnighted before. Their number is 605-589-3972 if your interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.