The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the screen cap from the parts book below. This is the pump that provides fluid for the hydrostatic transmission.

Motor vehicle Font Art Auto part Parallel



Part #13 is the red box above is roughly the size of a 12 oz soda can. It looks like there are 2 of them on the transmission. One was leaking so I removed it and replaced the O-rings. (Parts 14 + 21)

When I put the "can" back in I tightened it up all the way. Now the combine doesn't seem to have a neutral. It's trying to go either forward or backward.

Is there some way to determine how far the "can" should be screwed in? Would that give me a neutral again?

Motor vehicle Font Art Auto part Parallel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Those servo cans are set to give neutral and proper control.
They screw in or out to adjust. Normally mark them and count the turns out, replace the orings and then install back in the same number of turns.
If you have a look you might be able to find paint coverage and missing to determine which side of the can was out and where the lock tab is painted to get the depth to get you close and the punch in the lock tab to get you to the right spot.
Good luck. Make sure you test run it in a big open area in case it moves uncommanded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping there was a starting point - Like 3 turns out of something along those lines.

The combine is shoehorned in my shop, as it's raining today. Gonna have to set it in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Chock the wheels and remove the axle couplers on both sides of the transmission. That way if the hydro is turning and it happens to go into gear it won't take off and trash the whole shed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In low gear in low range at idle the thing moves at about 1/10 of a MPH. So I hardly think having it blow through the side of the shed was likely.

I backed the can off until oil started dripping out. Then screwed it back in until it stopped. Tried shelling corn with it. The thing still wants to go backwards awfully badly.

No idea what to do with it next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Well sometimes if you can kind of tell by the paint overspray where the lock was originally positioned on the can you put a small marker line there and adjust one turn at a time until it works properly.
If you can't tell where it was originally it is a 1/4 turn at a time guess and by golly.
I see many trips in and out of the cab in your future.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top