The Combine Forum banner

MF 860 hydro pump adjustment?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MF cowboy 
#1 ·
See the screen cap from the parts book below. This is the pump that provides fluid for the hydrostatic transmission.

Motor vehicle Font Art Auto part Parallel

Part #13 is the red box above is roughly the size of a 12 oz soda can. It looks like there are 2 of them on the transmission. One was leaking so I removed it and replaced the O-rings. (Parts 14 + 21)

When I put the "can" back in I tightened it up all the way. Now the combine doesn't seem to have a neutral. It's trying to go either forward or backward.

Is there some way to determine how far the "can" should be screwed in? Would that give me a neutral again?

Motor vehicle Font Art Auto part Parallel

See less See more
#2 ·
Those servo cans are set to give neutral and proper control.
They screw in or out to adjust. Normally mark them and count the turns out, replace the orings and then install back in the same number of turns.
If you have a look you might be able to find paint coverage and missing to determine which side of the can was out and where the lock tab is painted to get the depth to get you close and the punch in the lock tab to get you to the right spot.
Good luck. Make sure you test run it in a big open area in case it moves uncommanded.

#8 ·
In low gear in low range at idle the thing moves at about 1/10 of a MPH. So I hardly think having it blow through the side of the shed was likely.

I backed the can off until oil started dripping out. Then screwed it back in until it stopped. Tried shelling corn with it. The thing still wants to go backwards awfully badly.

No idea what to do with it next.

#9 ·
Well sometimes if you can kind of tell by the paint overspray where the lock was originally positioned on the can you put a small marker line there and adjust one turn at a time until it works properly.
If you can't tell where it was originally it is a 1/4 turn at a time guess and by golly.
I see many trips in and out of the cab in your future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.