The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MF 9695 and have to many heads/whitcaps/butts in sample.
I have 3 filler plates in,concave at 1/8 ",sieve 1/8" now lots of cracked wheat with everything so tight. How many rotor knives do people use? I took out the set of 3 over the 2nd concave and now only have 3 over the 4th and 3 over the 6th concave and a set of 3 at the discharge end of the rotor. Thinking about buying a 4th filler plate to add and try to open the concave then. Any ideas on settings for wheat and also canola??

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a Challenger 660, pretty much same machine you have. Spring wheat has always been a challenge for me to clean up whitecaps. Year ago I took my rotor to St. John's in Kansas and had them modify it. Used it a year ago with stock close wire concaves and whitecaps were still a challenge. But, it was tougher than usual to thresh SW that year. Started season that year with new Kuchar concaves, also. Owner sold them to me, assured me he had guys in North Dakota that had especially hard threshing SW that loved how clean their hard threshing SW was with his product. I couldn't get rid of whitecaps, horrible whitecap dock of 3-5%, did some sleuthing and found the farmers in ND he referred to. Fellow said the only way they could get rid of whitecaps with Kuchar was by using 5 filler plates. I talked with Kuchar about returning his concaves, didn't see how they were so great for hard threshing SW if you had to blank out 70% of them. Thankfully he took them back.
Last fall put in Sunnybrook concaves, 3 hard/max thresh and 4 round bar. Expected it would be a bit aggressive on sunflowers, but did great. Continued with that setup on wheat this summer. Did perfect on WW, just a bit lacking on SW, which owner of Sunnybrook saw as a possibility. He'd suggested if this setup didn't do the trick on hard threshing wheat, to put in a close wire concave in position #1 with filler plate, slide back the 3 max thresh concaves to positions 2-4, and remove one of the round bar concaves. With sunflowers next for me, going to leave my setup the same. Before I do wheat next year, expect to put an old close wire concave in position 1 and run it "open" for WW, with cover plate on SW, and with every other wire removed for Sunflowers. My dock this year was 1% on SW, and I had my concaves very close to rotor, close to zero'd out, and almost no cracking, rotor speed wide open at about 1,000 rpm. With almost no concave clearance, rotor speed wide open, minimal cracking and 1% dock for whitecaps (and a bit of wild oats), no getting around sometimes its just a tall order to thresh SW sometimes. See that Sunnybrook is now sold as KX7 concaves in USA.
I use no knives on my rotor. My understanding is they are used for green/ropy stemmed crops. Can do nothing helpful in wheat (again, my understanding only), only make the process harder by reducing straw mass and loading up the shoe with extra material.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for sharing your success with these concaves! We hear a lot from users how much better their grain bin looks and overall threshing is improved with KX7. This is a great design started by Sunnybrook, and we're excited about the success it will bring to farmers looking for something better.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Try opening the concave some and slowing down the rotor. The thinking with this approach is that you are pushing the mog through the rotor too fast and not getting a complete thrash during the time it is in the rotor. Opening the concave some and then pushing to keep the rotor area full gives more rubbing grain on grain and reduces the grinding while helping reduce the number of white caps.

I was having the same problem with my 9540 and did the above and it really helped. I got the idea from the guy I bought the combine from, was skeptical at first but after convincing myself I had to try something different I did the above and it really helped. Make small adjustments to one thing at a time to tell if it is accomplishing anything. I lowered my rotor speed 150 rpm from where I was running it and opened concave about 1/4" to achieve acceptable results for me. Be sure and maximize cleaning fan rpm to get the chaff to float the chaff out the rear of the machine. I run an airfoil chaffer with lower sieve at .6", the airfoil needs more air to work than the regular finger sieve but as tight as you are running your sieves I am wondering if you are not getting enough air flow to the chaffer to keet the fines and straw bits floating out the rear.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for sharing your success with these concaves! We hear a lot from users how much better their grain bin looks and overall threshing is improved with KX7. This is a great design started by Sunnybrook, and we're excited about the success it will bring to farmers looking for something better.
I ordered a set of your kx7 concaves thru worthington ag parts on July 27. I am looking forward to trying them but am wondering why it took so long to get them built and shipped ? Kinda frustrating.

My man at Worthington told me that they were finally shipped today Sept. 11. Hopefully they show up in time for bean harvest.

·
Registered
925 Posts
is your concave parallel to the rotor ? are you running narrow or wide spaced concaves ?
you should have no more then 21 knives in there and start removing them from the front if you need to. in hrsw you should set the concave at .4" rotor at 980rpm fan set high or about 1100 rpm chaffer at .75 " and sieve at 1/8 ". these are initial then go from there.
you shouldn't need more then 3 blanks with narrow spaced concave. we don't even use blanks and are having no trouble threshing wheat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes we always zero and parallel the rotor every year.
Have 3 wide wire then 4 narrow wires concaves.
Use 3 blanks over the 3 wide concaves
Bought another blank to try.
Also will try to open concave a bit more and load it more to have
More material rubbing on itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.