The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just traded his combine in for a used one that apparently has had mice in the cab- and probably throughout- for more than 1 season! He's tried taking the flooring out but its pretty much sealed in there. We want to get all the nests out and that last stubborn mouse out so it doesn't smell to high heaven, I want to help harvest this fall but i can't stand the smell! Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2344. We had a Case mechanic come take a look today and he said he's never seen mice get in the cab part of that particular model.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I purchased a used 2188 and the previous owner had an open hole on the right side of the cab about a inch in diameter. It was stored in a shed with spilled grain all over. So I ended up with mice in the cab. Cold out when I bought it but once it warmed up OOOFTA!!. Took me 3 years to find where they were coming in. They had chewed a drain hose off the drip pan under the AC condeser. Then they chew the hole in the drip pan to twice its size. Also made for a very dirty cab when fan ran as it sucked dust in. This pan is above the rotor cone and is a pain to get to. Of course they chewed on the side that is harder to get to.

Check the wall between the cab and hopper. I found a dead one half in and half out. Come through where the fuses are and shine a flashlight while looking between the hopper and cab. Works best if it is darker out. Also under the cab door there is a rubber plug. Mine was gone so I taped the hole shut. There is nothing worse than mice. We had the cab gutted on mine. They were in the head liner too. After having it apart we see no way to get in up there. They have to come in at the bottom. Good luck finding the littler bas**rds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got the same problem on our 2188, they were up in the top of the cab and chewed up the radio wires (thankfully thats all that was destroyed). I went and stuck bounce dryer sheets in the vents about 3 weeks ago and just let it sit and as of right now it just smells like a big dryer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When we have a stinky cab around the farm we use a product called Zeo Trap its a back of what looks like limestone, but after being in any cab for a couple days the smell goes away. I would try one of them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Our neighbour had an old 1440 with mice in the cab , man i couldent stand the smell especially on a hot day that mouse piss really made it smell , aaaand it didn't help that the a/c only half worked . The best remedy is THE RADIATOR CAP FIX ...... Take off the radiator cap and replace evreything under it .LOL
Marshall

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Oh yeh you've got to hate those little critters... I drove our 1680 for a few yrs after mice had lived in the cab.. took me 2-3yrs to find the hole & i was determined to find it.. They chewed thru a rubber grommet, kinda under the gear lever on left hand side of cab... a large wire harness run thru there from memory.. I eventually got rid of the smell... many smelly tree's & venting in the hot sun. That was yrs ago.. have had a 2188 for approx 11yr no mice in cab so far...

We have heaps of trouble with mice in trucks, i'm trying to get them mouse proof... Best way to cover holes is silastic & tin plates or thick hard insertion rubber or old conveyor belt... perspect/lexen is good too. they'll chew holes in silastic.. i don't think they will chew sikaflex or seal & flex, yet to proove that.

we have 2 trucks with a terrible mouse smell, i would like to know an easy way to remove the smell.. may help keep them from coming back, we use napthaline flakes to keep them out but its a breath taking when the sun heats both smell's up. Whats the zeo trap stuff..? more info please Im not sure if its avaiable here in aus.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Put a bar of Irish Spring soap in the cab... I have tried it in both the combine, tractors, and vehicles that get parked for the winter. I have not found any signs of the little critters since I have been doing this. Come spring it does not smell bad either. Another deterrent for the litter critters is moth balls but it takes quite a while to get that smell out of the cab.

·
Registered
262 Posts
LOTS of mouse/mice problems here. They chew the Irish spring bars down to nothing in no time but it makes the crap smell better. It and bounce sheets do make a cab more tolerable. We have a 2388 that i will be taking the seat out and vacuuming/washing everything. They must have 2-3 gallons of grain hauled up under the buddy seat since mid spring. I hope they aren't up in the headliner . Gonna try to wash down the cab area and plug any holes and poison the heck out of the yard year round and get some cats. Steel wool poked into holes/cab pillars that you cant really seal off keeps them out too.
A product called Fresh cab is supposed to work well for covering the smell. I think a smoke machine in the cab would work to find holes.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
dryer sheets from home work great in our bine not one mouse ever proved it with our camper had mice in it threw dryer sheets in drawers and cupboards around it and no more mice

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've tried the Irish spring trick and my mice seem to love to have a fresh smelling nest because that is where they seem to always build them. I have my cab totally tore apart and cleaning out the mice nests. My neighbor tells me it was because I used the bars with aloe in them. He claims that it has to be the original.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just make sure that i keep ropax(blue square poison chunks) in the cab at all times in the off season. you may have to pick a dead one up once in a while. but i have never had them stink after their dead, even after a long period of time. i am trying to solve the problem before needing a cure. them little rascals can cause fires and all kinds of other problems.

kevin

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can use moth balls in the cab to keep them out. Just put a few out in the cab and the mice stay away.

I keep the ropax in the shed nailed to the walls and also keep a couple of cats around. I have not had any mice problems since I started doing this.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
they got into my new 1460 last winter a put traps out to help control them and i caught 4-5 of them this summer when i got it out i plugged every hole i could find so we'll see what it's like in the spring....

my gradpa's 1440 the mice got into it and chewed every single wire in the contril box and he had to rewire the whole combine

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been using fresh cab has been working for me it says on the box lasts 30 day if i am remembering right I like the scent but some people dont I run my tractors and combine the most so everyone else can live with it no mice so far

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have used Fresh cab and bounce dryer sheets for a few years now with good luck untill last winter when a pair built a nest in the headliner of my combine and had babies ,I did get them out before they did much damage but the smell was terrible, scrubed down what I could and sprayed paint into where I could not reach helped considerably on the smell.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts