The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm thinking of purchasing a set of Michel's EZ Opener200 wireless remote chute openers. Just wondering how well the system is working and if the motors have enough power/torque to open and close the hopper chutes. The trailer I would like to mount them on is notorious for having chutes that are hard to open, especially with fertilizer or coarse grains. Any comments you may have on this system (or others) are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am also looking at remote openers to make filling the air drill/tank a one man job without all the running up and down to get tank stuffed full.

I just got rough pricing from calling a couple dealers
Freight and install seems to be around $800 to $1200 to install 3 units.

So far have some prices
Michel's $3900 to $4400 for 3 units and 1 remote)

Kramble,(formerly Brehon), $4600

Shurco, Pro-Trap $3700 to $4000, extra $200 to $300 for passenger side mounting??
Only find pictures of the Shurco mounted on aluminum Wilson trailers and they have them mounted very low and flat??
They say there is a newer model just out but I don/t know if mounting or entire shape/design have been changed?

Ag-Remote GT-3100, No info/prices yet

All prices are for 3 units, any control boxes, plugs/wiring and mount brackets and 1 remote included but haven't gotten any actual quotes back yet.
Hoping there will be some specials at Crop production show next week in S'toon???

·
Registered
126 Posts
Michels look really good and thought out but haven't used them. The new remote and electric tarps have been flawless though. We have the Brehon ones and they are a pain, chains jump on stiff gates, the open and close limits just disappear sometimes, when you let go of the button they'll just keep opening or closing by themselves sometimes. Constantly babysitting them. Would be very very last on the list.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I'd like to put hopper openers on my trailer to help with seeding. Also, would be nice to use at harvest. We have a Westfield mover on our MKX swing auger. Is there a remote out there that will control both a hopper opener and a swing auger. Would be nice not to have to carry 2 around at harvest time!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sold on the Michel's system. Just more concerned with the motors having enough power to open or close gates that are a little on the stiff side.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Hi. I'm thinking of purchasing a set of Michel's EZ Opener200 wireless remote chute openers. Just wondering how well the system is working and if the motors have enough power/torque to open and close the hopper chutes. The trailer I would like to mount them on is notorious for having chutes that are hard to open, especially with fertilizer or coarse grains. Any comments you may have on this system (or others) are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Paint your slides and the top of you hopper chutes with graphite paint, it will amaze you on how much easier they will open.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any other comments about the Michels openers. We want to try a different make after having mixed results with the Ag remote ones. They are too difficult to go to manual if there is a problem. Have a pin thru the shaft you need to remove, but every thing is seazed solid so taking the pin out doesn't disengage them. They are a great concept though.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Any other comments about the Michels openers. We want to try a different make after having mixed results with the Ag remote ones. They are too difficult to go to manual if there is a problem. Have a pin thru the shaft you need to remove, but every thing is seazed solid so taking the pin out doesn't disengage them. They are a great concept though.
I ordered michels I will let you know how they work out

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
You may want to look at agri-cover. Just installed a couple on my trailer for seeding. Their remote system works with their tarp opener also. I don't have that option. They have a chain drive. If anything goes bad and need to manually open just remove the chain. Paid $2175 for the system. Same guys that make the access roll cover for pickups. Electric Hopper Opener | Openers Hoppers | ROLTEC Conversion

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
If you could find a decent gear motor and had the knowhow to wire up some limit switches, I imagine one could make something to open and close gates fairly easily. Ebay has tons of cheap keyfob-controlled relay modules. Set the relay board to momentary mode, and wire two relays in an H bridge configuration (sounds more complicated than it is) and you can use a keyfob to open and close the gate.

I have everything I need to run the slide gate on the back of a tandem truck box (linear actuator, keyfob remote and relays), but I haven't set it up yet. Been lazy I guess. Also in our case we treat the grain as it flows out of the truck, so I have yet to figure rig up a solenoid of some kind to let me shut off the treat (which flows by air pressure).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hard part is getting the limit switches. My brehon system never did work well on my Doepker tridem. Gates only had 3/4" between twisting off the opener crank and leaking grain out. Any sag in the drive chain due to temp would affect where the trap door closed.

Usually had to maually over ride the computer and be very careful when opening or closing.

Still worked much better than nothing for filling airdrills.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very pleased

Just installed a set Michels EZ Opener's.. Very happy with them. I find there is plenty of room to put the openers on the driver side. Shouldn't have any problems with the augers. On a Wilson trailer anyways. Worth getting the wireless remote as well. Setting the chute limits is a breeze. Wish I had these a dozen years ago! That same remote can also run your Michel's swing auger and electric tarp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.