The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch wheat varieties. Have been growing Lillian for the past years. Would like to change to either a midge or fusarium resistant variety. Any opinions on which way to go? I heard from some neighbours that the midge wheat protein is quite low compared to Lillian.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
All wheats are a touch lower protein than Lillian. 2015 might be the year of the sawfly! Lately fusarium has been bigger threat than midge. If you are not a max input guy I would go with a wheat rated G for fusarium. If you do plan to aim for max inputs, then you might want to go for yield and be prepared for a couple fungicide passes.

My protien this year was 14.8 which I likely wont get paid for since places like Pioneer pay up to 13.0 only. Protein is one small puzzle piece.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks skgrain. I am in the Saskatoon area and spray for both midge and fusarium each year. Pioneer Carlton Crossing (just north of Saskatoon) was paying protein premium up to 15.5 in Dec. Might pay to haul it farther away.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
We grow Unity... Pretty decent for protein, 14.5% is quite normal. It is solid stemmed (sawfly resistance) and it's a Midge Tolerant variety.

Works well in lower input situations, but with lots of N it lodges. Badly.

We use Ethrel on it to prevent lodging. Pretty decent for Fusarium also, ours all made a #2 for fuzz, some even #1 and it was bad around here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.