The Combine Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Arc and then Mig. lay a better bead with an Arc. my neibore a PRO pipewelder had a Helioarc and swears by it on Aluminum
hes got the Lincoln PipeWelder special mentioned above. his is gass though. he on his truck has a Miller and his son has a New Lincoln diesel. theya re both certified pipewelders.
We got a Lincoln Arc welder and a Snap On mig for opur shop

Nick

·
Registered
200 Posts
if you arc weld a lot you should build a box to keep your rod in. put a 75 watt lightbulb in it and leave it on all the the time. only costs a few bucks a year to keep it on, and you can make a box pretty nice for under fifty bucks or so. it is amazing how much easier it will be to start an arc and how mu h better of a weld you will lay down. if your rod is damp or cold strike an arc and pull it up as high as you can away from the work for a few seconds to heat it and dry it out. welding too high of amperage for the job just leads to ugly welds, burn though, and cracking down the line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a about 50 years old stick welder machine, it was my grandpa's when he bought it long time ago and it still work.
MIG is alot easy cuz it has hot temp control, wire speed control. i done that alot of my time when i was in college (autobody class) and a month job at midwest company, welded trailer's frames.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really depends on what you are welding and in what position/conditions that the welding is being performed under. I welded in high school and held several positions afterwards before I joined the Navy. I ended up an aero-certed welder while I was in and aircraft parts are all performed with TIG in a flat position after parts have had an ultra-sonic bath. I currently own a miller pipe-pro that sits in the garage that I never use and have thought of selling it but bit the welder, suitcase mig and the rest of the setup I have about 14G's in it all and I could never recoup the money so I just collect dust for now.PS I love welding stainless as it just flows great does'nt matter if it is tig,mig, or stick

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
love the mig if it runs gas wire, a bit messier with gasless but no problem for windy days. just bought an inverter welder the other day after my dc lincon tractorpac failed and it is a great little welder with heaps of grunt, i have not been able to run it at full power yet, i think it is 190amp. it is the size of some carry on luggage so it can be carried up a ladder. a handy bit of gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love doing all three. Been welding for 8 years, the first 5 building semi trailers at MAC Trailers, and the last 3 traveling around the eastern US building coal plants. Welding in every weather condition possible. Vertical-up with a stick welder is my favorite, we had one job were we built a wall out of half inch steal plate, triple pass welds about 20 feet tall, good times. I just bought a new miller 255 MIG welder great welder. Auto-helmets are nice just don't get them wet

·
Registered
275 Posts
MIG, I learned on stick but as long as I'm not in the wind or can't block it I will weld with MIG. Unless you are going to do a lot of welding away from the shop, then a stick will probably be a better fit. Don't get into the TIG much on the farm, but if Im welding a lot of Aluminium or stainless at work I will use one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Only ever done stick welding and oxy welding. Oxy welding is great for small jobs (can get away with sunglasses too! lack of UV rays is nice). You have much more control which shows in the result. I do oxy when possible.

Learning stick after doing oxy is easy. Watching stick welders try oxy for the first time is fun.

Doing plumbing (for now at least) requires portable things like bottles and stick welders. Seeing as one uses oxy for soldiering copper pipes the bottles are always available for a bit of welding. However stick is almost always used due to material thickness. The guy I worked for had contracts for plumbing maintenance for 2 foundries (2/3 of all his work) which was great for learning.

I’d assume TIG is harder than oxy and MIG is easier than stick (simply because my mum has done mig heh).

21 - 33 of 33 Posts