The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been so long since I harvested Millet I can’t remember how well it went..........
Might have been a CTS or 9600.

Have a choice of the JD9860 or the CaseIH 9120. Thinking the JD will be better with the expanding rotor cage and tynes on the rotor.

Separating the seed will be my biggest issue. It’s abig bulky crop. Lodged. Standing. Leaning. A right royal mess.

Too late to windrow. Straw is staying green. Would like to desicate but could be strict regulations on that due to the delivery destination.

Anyway, any tips, or internal setups, basic machine settings will be much appreciated. Would love punched hole mesh sieves but that ain’t happening.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
At the very least I would put in a rice feed accelerator and combed floor under it. Also what rotor is in that unit? If dense pack 24 elements take 9 out and put in the threshing tines in their place. Both of these come in what is called a rice enhancement package(California rice package). I haven't harvested millet before so I don't know how aggressive you can get with it. PM me if you need part numbers. Hope this helps.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of things to add here

It’s not my crop
It’s not my machine
It’s only 80ha
Iam just the dumb sucka who said he would get it done.

Kevthi: not sure what variety.
There’s alot of crop that’s actually too dry to windrow and the grower doesn’t have a pickup front any way.
One circle was cut for hay and will be easy to harvest the seed as it’s only abit over a foot high and more even of maturity

The circle in the photo above wasn’t cut for hay

·
Registered
936 Posts
Is it going to slug through on you?

if it is rotor reverse on the 9120 may be your friend-even if it does a worse job on other fronts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've grown white proso for 5 years. If that pic is how the crop looks today, I would windrow it if at all possible. I've only grown proso, so can't speak to other varieties, but if that is proso that will take forever to dry down to where it can be put through a combine, let alone stored. If the straw is green like that, it will not go through very easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts