The Combine Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Okpanhandle, those farmers who still have those Head Hunters mothballed after all these years, may have as good an advantage as any with a row crop head, after a few more years, when the current heads just become too worn-out to use. I know that's bad, but at least the HH's could serve as a backup in hard times ahead.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the +1, Duck!

Oh Combiness, row heads won't wear out beyond repair! You ought to know this, LOL>

EVERYTHING on a row head is rebuildable or replacable!! Right down to the skin!! Several years ago, I bought a pretty nice 853A. The innards were pretty worn, but the sheet metal was above average, and nice...Many hours later, and a few 'chunks of change ($) later, I had me a "brand new" JD 853A Row Head!!

I would be a LOT more worried about getting replacement parts for the Hesstons than I would be a JD Row Head...There are just too many JD Heads out there for there ~not~ to be demand for replacement parts. As "nice" as Hesstons were, I could only throw rocks at them after running an 853A.
S M O O T H ! ! ! !

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
TxFarmer and Combiness, thanks for the lesson on Hesstons. I've heard of Head Hunters before, but didn't know they were the same thing. I was going to post some pictures of Hesstons in action from around 1981, but when I dug out the album I discovered that the pics were glued to the page. Oh well.

How are you liking strip-till, Tx? We're strictly no-till for now (run a 2003 Kinze 12R30; toolbar was built in Sunray, I think), but who knows what the future holds? Are you running the rig in the spring or fall? I would think that in the spring you would lose too much moisture, but that's when everyone around here runs their rigs.

Quote:Am I "old" cause I know, and have worked on Hesston's????

I'm making an assumption that you're older than my 25 years, and judging by your experience with Hesstons I'm inclined to think I'm right.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Okpanhandle and TxFarmer!

Thank you so much for those replies! They were excellent and very enlightning. And Okpanhandle, that link was very usefull.

Both of you gets a +1 for that!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We pulled into it , yesterday evening!

Just a FYI:
We pulled into some of our milo yesterday evening, and it tested dry enough. Nothing but a freeze would even it up, completely, and I sure do not want to wait for that!
The moisture on my tester showed "14.7" .
I am getting ready to head down to the shop and hook the Kinze 1040 to the tractor!

Hopefully, we can stay in dry [enough] grain, and get this chore DONE!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts