The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cat-# 2867-20

What a heap of $hit. Never thought I’d say that about Milwaukee. It has less balls than our 2 year old 3/4”. Won’t do truck tires, won’t do sprayer tires. None of the guys even pick it up any more when the 3/4 will beat it every time.

Anyone else have that 1”? AKA Disappointment! 😂

Going to try and stop by the repair center in the city today and see if they can actually test what this heap is putting out.

· Registered
3,675 Posts
What was it like when you first used it and has it been used a certain amount. I heard there were issues with the unit because of the beating the battery and connect assembly take with vibration and why they came out with the even larger 1" drive unit with a different type of battery mount to try and isolate the vibration. I have the 1/2 impact and have not used it that much so its still working good but have seen guys with ones like it that have used them quite a bit and its come to have issues with that battery connection. That is the problem with tools that vibrate violently, they beat the crap out of the battery mount and contacts unless its made very sturdy or can isolate that vibration. That may not be your problem but certainly would complain about the tool if its failing as they cost far too much to just shrug ones shoulders and buy another.

· Registered
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right from brand new. We did turn up the speed/torque setting in the app.

I know what you mean about the battery mount, our 1/2” did exactly that and took out 2 batteries contacts and they replaced it all under warranty.

· Registered
3,675 Posts
I haven't used any of the tools with an app but that clarifies its not because of tool use, something was wrong from the get go. As in theory anyway if its not a rusted on wheel nut it should come off if it had been torqued to 500 lb. Now the 1/2 tool on the other hand, I can't reproduce the wheel removal of a highway tractor or trailer at all that some video's like to claim and I never expected it to. All this nut busting bs high torque number smoke and mirrors games I can't swallow from any manufacturer.

One things for sure, I've never happened to be at a tire shop where the tech is having problems getting even horribly rusted lug nuts broken loose off a truck with a decent 1" air impact and a proper sized hose and air pressure/volume backing it up.

I looked at some of the reviews right on the Milwaukee website and was surprised at the number of disappointed customers, have a read Joe as you are not the only one.

· Registered
5,977 Posts
Haven't used it myself but my cousin has the 1" and loves it. They use it a lot on semi tires. Sounds like it's defective. Milwaukee has a good warranty. Take it to a service center and have them look it over.

· Premium Member
1,382 Posts
**** I thought there the best thing since sliced bread. Scratch getting one

· Registered
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped it off today and they are going to test it. Something has to be up because it wouldn’t even do semi wheels/sprayer wheels.
We use the high output 8’s. They don’t actually recommend the 12’s on it he told me today.

· Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds like you got a dud. First generation fuel was better made than the latest stuff, seems the build quality is down.

1" gun we only use 9amp or high output rated batteries like the 6/8/12amp with the new cells- supposedly handles the draw better.

The 1" way outperforms our 3/4 guns but it's less handy so it mostly sits unused. Extended anvil version on order waiting for it to come in, should be the cats ass for semi tires.

· Registered
530 Posts
You got a dud. We've got both 3/4 and 1 inch. Have only found one nut it would not take off on a drive line. Ended up cutting it off. Since we've bough them we haven't used air impact in the shop so 6 months or so and they get used abused everyday as I run a repair sho.

· Registered
226 Posts
Joe, we got one as well. Works real well and haven't had a nut not come off yet. Not sure where the torque numbers come from but it'll do any semi tire and it'll over torque them on so have to be careful. If you want to borrow ours to compare you're welcome to.

· Registered
804 Posts
I find with these cordless impacts that holding the socket tight with one hand while impacting probably doubles the torque value. The short quick impacts that they deliver get lost real quick if there is any amount of slop between the anvil and the nut. Not saying this is your problem Joe as I am sure you have that figured out and you say your 3/4" is putting out fine.

· Registered
1,620 Posts
Right from brand new. We did turn up the speed/torque setting in the app.

I know what you mean about the battery mount, our 1/2” did exactly that and took out 2 batteries contacts and they replaced it all under warranty.
How old was the impact when it was warranteed? Mine is 3 years old, and I have to hold the batteries in place with a strap. New batteries aren't much better. I see they are supposed to have a 5 year warranty.

Would it work to use a heavy rubber band right from new to keep the battery tight to the tool, or would that be worse for the battery internals, as they would have no isolation from the vibration?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts