The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have officially wilted away. We are at a total of .66" of moisture for the year. That includes snow totals also. Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page

We have almost 2300 acres of wheat that is going to make between 1-3 bu/acre.

Grandpa said in the dirty 30's that they averaged about 8-9" of moisture a year. They just onewayed every time it rained is why it kept blowing. We have chiseled almost 1200 acres to keep from blowing.

Just north of us last night about 70 miles they got several inches of rain again. WTF? My ancestors sure picked a ****ty place to homestead.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We are in the hays, ks area & I thought we were dry. Really feel for you guys though I know that doesn't help your situation. Your last sentence is something that I have thought many times. Often tease my dad by asking, "Why did your family decide to stop here?" Makes me wonder what they left behind if coming out here looked attractive. Bottom line it is tough to farm in the desert. At the same time there is no place I would rather be. It will rain again just hope that time is coming sooner than later.

·
Registered
86 Posts
5stateag, I thought of this after I finished my message. Have you had to change any of your farming practices or noticed any changes because of the lesser prairie chicken being listed as threatened by the feds? We haven't had to change any farming practices yet, but I know that the oil patch is changing hours that they will be on location & putting quieter exhaust on some equipment.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are basically no till in the 3 quarters of sandhills that they inhabit. At this point they haven't made us do anything different, and as long as we keep doing what we are doing now I cant see them making us change. We first heard they were going to make us give up the farming on those quarters all together but I think the research is going to conclude that the farming isn't the reason for there low numbers. The oil field is putting in wells as fast as they can before they get shut down. 120 wells total are going in this year on the corner of every section in our area. They are doing the sandhills first in the areas of the prairie chicken so they can be grandfathered in.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
You may be dry now, but you sure raised some magnificent tumbleweeds last year!

Looks like you are getting some rain now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts