The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well harvest just started and it's not looking that great after this week, we just had more rain threw the first week of harvest than we have had since March, and calling for more

Was lucky enough to have peas harvested and a section of wheat prior, but still have much to go, quality of remaining will be drastically bleached and discounted heavily, most guys had not started on cereals yet.... If this keeps up sprouting will happen soon

Very strange year for sure

·
Registered
628 Posts
We are in the same boat but have virtually nothing combined yet. We were wet already as storms the last 2 weeks have been riping through here and hailing and dumping rain. I think our cereals will be ok as most of them are still greenish but the lentils will probably be junk. Everything here has been wet since Thursday night and has not dried as it just rains enough to keep it wet and doesn't look like we will get any sun till Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's brutal and about to get worse by the looks of it:

More flooding possible this weekend, Water Security Agency says - Saskatchewan - CBC News

Crops around here were close to ready, but just not quite there yet, though most peas are off. This rain will hurt things for sure. Last year the rain took all the durum to a #4 but the yield helped compensate for that. This year we have avg to slightly better than avg crops so poor quality is really going to be a kick in the dink. You can have a bunch of shiny new paint, shower the crops with nutrients, chemicals and snake oils, but you just can't buy Mother Natures grace as we seem to learn the hard way time and time again.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
It is a bit wet here in north central MT also. My gauge shows over 1/2" since yesterday. Slow wet rain. Still had 1 field of barley that may not make malt anymore. Then plenty of wheat left. Started to get out the seeder. Figure I will have a couple days of seeding before I can harvest. At least it will give next year a good start for us. Not nearly enough to complain about for us, yet.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
We were just nicely starting to dry out from the July long monsoon. Needed an inch or so to finish soys and wheat and the later canola, and to keep the pastures going. Areas not too far away have already received over 100mm, and the forcast is for 50-75mm more depending what the source is. Booo!

Locally harvest will kick off in the next 7-10days. This might make a mess yet...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Peas are done. Canola is swathed and ready. Durum kernals were still a bit soft when I checked before the rain. Sitting at 2" rain so far and still drizzling. 4 days of slow rain is my concern for the cereals. When they stay wet for such a long time seems to do the most damage.

Drew Lerner had predicted a wet harvest months ago, guy seems to always nail it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Peas are done. Canola is swathed and ready. Durum kernals were still a bit soft when I checked before the rain. Sitting at 2" rain so far and still drizzling. 4 days of slow rain is my concern for the cereals. When they stay wet for such a long time seems to do the most damage.

Drew Lerner had predicted a wet harvest months ago, guy seems to always nail it.
This week Drew is still calling for a wet September, hope he is wrong.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had rain in the gauge for the last 6 days which added up to 4.30. Canola swaths sitting in water, prevent plant ground right back where it was this spring. One quarter of spring wheat about a week from harvesting which will see discounts but other spring wheat still pretty green. This is in northcentral North Dakota. I am really ready for a prolonged dry spell.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
3" this weekend for me, just got going on lentils Friday aft.. 3% done and holding.. The cereals were seeded later and all have a green tinge still so hopefully no significant downgrading there.
Have you checked you lentils for sprouting? I thought mine were green enough but not so, even some of the green immature seeds have sprouts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
2.8-3.5" rain at my place depending on location. Durum might be ok, hoping the soft kernels change color as they ripen a bit more. Navigator definitely looks better than Verona. Red lentils on the other hand........Ugh. No difference between what was greener prior to rain and what was more ripe. Finding the odd sprout but I think we'll be fighting grading on wrinkle/copper color more than anything. Seems what I dessicated with glypho/Heat and Reglone hasn't changed at all in 8 days. Now the big decision is do I throw $16/ac of Reglone towards crop that is either a really poor 2 but might be a 3 and get it off in a week, or spend $6 and let glyphosate do the work and cut it in 2-3 weeks??? If its a #2 its an easy decision, but if not I hate throwing more money towards junk. Just not sure how forgiving the buyers are going to be.

Here is a link to the red lentil grading standards in Canada for those interested:

Red lentils - New specifications - Presentation to the pulse industry 2012

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Big operator, thanks for the link, good to know.

Snipe, I couldn't see any sprouts, but what I had left to combine was desicated with glyphosate + heat.. Colour has been affected I still hope they make a 2.. Standing very nice still.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.