The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a demo come out a couple weeks ago. They came out with a 61' C2 with 12" paired rows. The tank was a 9650 tbh. With variable rate and sadly no sectional control. There were a lot of pros about this drill and a few cons about it too through out the demo.
Cons- first of all the the demo started off on a bad note when they showed up late and and it took forever to fill. We were only seeding 60 acres of barley so only needed one tank and one tank of fertilizer. Filling still took 45 min. They have the conveyer on it and found it very slow. They didn't want me to push it cuz they were scared to plug it.

- There were 2 reps from Morris and about 5 salesmen from Servus (John Deere) and nobody knew who was in charge of demoing.

- From running our drill for the last 5 years and having 8 cameras on the tank to having 0 and no blockage moniters is a little unsettling.

- The hardest part about running the drill was trying to figure out how to run the tractor at the same time. I'm coming from a 9720 Case and then jumping into a R9450 I think is a learning curve in its self.

Pros-
The seed placement was excellent. The ability of the drill to be able to follow deep ravines and sharp hills was awesome.

- I found it very easy to set seed depth.
- Adjusting packing pressure is new to me but with time would become easy I would say.
-really like the air distribution system for the fact that the seed stays horizontal until dropping into the shank. Never liked the idea of towers.
- I really the the fact that any of the 4 tanks can drop into either the seed run or the fertilizer run. Simple to change.
- variable rate is new to me but seems very simple once used to it.
- Really like the openness of the metering system easy access.
- Stair design really good. Won't be looking forward to packing innoculant and canola bags. But who does. :)

That's what I found out about this drill. Overall very impressed. I probably forgot some things.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No we wouldn't. We have a 40' tender trailer so we load with that. I can load faster with our trailer than we loaded with the conveyer. The reason we weren't loading with the trailer at the demo was because the auger didn't reach because of the conveyer bracket was in the way. If we were to by a tank we would get the auger on it and remove it and put it back on for resale.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We went and looked at a neihgbors using the same set up as you used except he had the sectional control. Everything looked good at the time of seeding but went back three weeks later to look at the crop. The wheat looks really good but the canola seems a little slow and sparse. Has anyone else used this c2 drill on canola in the same field beside a conservapak to get a good comparison?

·
Registered
366 Posts
are those morris openers or something else? we have a new to us maxim this year and the paired row is really just a 3" spread that's a little thicker on the outsides. I don't think it's a huge problem beyond cosmetics though? emergence has been great!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
what I found with my contour on 12" centers seeding canola, with the Morris 3'' paired row boots I had to slow down to 3-3.5 mph or there was too much dirt thrown on the front rows and emergence was terrible.. so I went to single row with side banded fert(dutch boot) and it improved the field finish and the emergence of canola.. canola I travel at 4-4.5 mph no problems.. cereals 5-6 mph no problems

·
Registered
110 Posts
We've found the same thing. Max speed on canola at 4 mph due to dirt throw
A couple pita items:
At every fill/2nd fill you need to work those double shoot flippers back and forth on the collectors otherwise they will become immobile due to fert fines -believe me it's a nightmare to get free :(
Those flat fan dividers are streamlined, but we find easily pluggable. We screen all fert going in with a way finer screen than Morris provides to hold that problem at bay.
I find that these Morris tanks are head bangers and you almost need two guys to pull/replace meter covers, seed plates etc
Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.