The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
There hasn’t been to many threads on here about buying new iron lately what does that tell you?
scary times

I stopped at Cargill to grab a grain check. As I was waiting for the paper Work. I noticed were they had all the staff business cards sitting there also was cards for the suicide prevention hotline. Rather sad

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
scary times

I stopped at Cargill to grab a grain check. As I was waiting for the paper Work. I noticed were they had all the staff business cards sitting there also was cards for the suicide prevention hotline. Rather sad
I know a person that works the crisis hotline in Iowa, said last year call volume was exceptionally high. It is sad and scary.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We ordered metering wheels for our cart in November from Farm world and they kept telling us Morris wasn’t sending them. The parts guy figured Morris laid off the warehouse people.
So does anyone know of an aftermarket source for Morris metering wheels ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We ordered metering wheels for our cart in November from Farm world and they kept telling us Morris wasn’t sending them. The parts guy figured Morris laid off the warehouse people.
So does anyone know of an aftermarket source for Morris metering wheels ?
I'm not sure if parts shipping if anyone is working in that department.
I went to school with one girl that works in parts at the plant.
Guess I'll find out shortly I need some cyl seal kits too before they go under.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sad day for the employees. The economic hit to Yorkton will be huge. I don't wish this upon anybody and sounds like the oil patch / auto industry scenario. Working one day and unemployed the next but the bills keep coming in. They did make a great cart. If they would just make the metering area all stainless it would be great. I hated the rusty spouts where hoses hooked up and their rusting manifolds of tin. Great setup otherwise.

·
Registered
23 Posts

1. All the talk at coffee row today.
  2. All the talk at coffee row today.
    Here's the way I see this. Morris had a good thing going back in the tillage days. Rodweeders, deep tillages, vibrashanks, and harrows are what made that company stay in business. Now that the amount of tillage done has greatly decreased since those times, all those lines except for heavy harrows have been dropped. This has left them in the predicament that they have nothing really to sell that anybody wants or is interested in. For me, I could see the writing on the wall for there company for years now. Even during good years, did anyone ever hear someone talking about their Morris drill or other product less then 5 years old, because I sure didn't. Nobody I know owns any modern Morris equiptment, and we are only 30 minutes from the factory and parts depo in Yorkton, so support issues are not a problem. Also, remember when Morris used to sell short lines back in the day such as PMI? I guess they cut that out years ago but still was some profit in that. I do wish the best for the guys that may get let go or laid off, some of those guys have been there for a pile of years and they know there stuff. Ask them a question about a 40 year old machine and they can give you an answer right off the top of their head. I guess I will have to stock up on some parts as I still have a deep tillage and vibrashank of theirs that I use every once in a while that I like. Maybe Pattison will buy Morris up so he can have another lot in Yorkton to park all that new shiny equiptment they got there so he doesn't have to park it out in the back field. LOL

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I looked into the design of the Quantum drills a bit farther since this news came out. From my perspective, this toolbar engineering is far too good to predict that it would disappear from the marketplace permanently.

I do take a bit of issue with any type of complex seed boot. They seldom work acceptably in wide ranging conditions.

In the area where I spend my springs, the neighbours who have been zero tilling since the idea was barely a concept are now using a Contour with simple straight narrow knives. They have been broadcasting ahead of their drills for many decades and grow as good of crops as any around.

In my mind, I think if you were capable of pulling a large enough cart you could broadcast nitrogen or a nitrogen blend directly on the front end of the drill just by using diffuser plates and get the same result.

Their emergence is very good, although the field finish is different than a disc drill. That being said, disc drills severely limit tillage in this soil area, otherwise half of it would blow away from all of the drill wheel traffic.

The company is likely going to need someone assertive and aggressive to deal with those that are holding them up for ransom. I think I’d be recovering those units and hauling them to auctions and settling up with buyers and dealers. I bet they’d bring wholesale price.

Most of the time, things that don’t actually fly shouldn’t have wings. Chickens I guess?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I must live in the anomaly. We are in a predominantly Morris area. Numerous neighbours ran or have run the Maxim ll drills when they were new and now there is probably a good 20 Contour and Contour ll drills in the area and one new Quantum last year with another new one sitting on the lot in town. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the local dealer isn't paying for a big new building or fancy service trucks and is providing a good service at a good rate.

·
Registered
429 Posts

1. Here's the way I see this. Morris had a good thing going back in the tillage days. Rodweeders, deep tillages, vibrashanks, and harrows are what made that company stay in business. Now that the amount of tillage done has greatly decreased since those times, all those lines except for heavy harrows have been dropped. This has left them in the predicament that they have nothing really to sell that anybody wants or is interested in. For me, I could see the writing on the wall for there company for years now. Even during good years, did anyone ever hear someone talking about their Morris drill or other product less then 5 years old, because I sure didn't. Nobody I know owns any modern Morris equiptment, and we are only 30 minutes from the factory and parts depo in Yorkton, so support issues are not a problem. Also, remember when Morris used to sell short lines back in the day such as PMI? I guess they cut that out years ago but still was some profit in that. I do wish the best for the guys that may get let go or laid off, some of those guys have been there for a pile of years and they know there stuff. Ask them a question about a 40 year old machine and they can give you an answer right off the top of their head. I guess I will have to stock up on some parts as I still have a deep tillage and vibrashank of theirs that I use every once in a while that I like. Maybe Pattison will buy Morris up so he can have another lot in Yorkton to park all that new shiny equiptment they got there so he doesn't have to park it out in the back field. LOL
Well you should open your eyes up and have a good look at there cart it is far simpler and more reliable then Bourgault . Then sectional control on it is far simpler then anyone elses and works great, as far as the Quantum drill goes to me that thing is well built, I'm curious as to what the problem the Aussies are having with it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here is the link to the court documents.
Took a while to find it.
Interesting reading in the affidavits

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Just a question, I haven't read through all the documents, what does bankruptcy protection give them? What does it mean for the people they owe money to? Is this one of those cases where they only pay back pennies on the dollar to creditors or is that full bankruptcy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well you should open your eyes up and have a good look at there cart it is far simpler and more reliable then Bourgault . Then sectional control on it is far simpler then anyone elses and works great, as far as the Quantum drill goes to me that thing is well built, I'm curious as to what the problem the Aussies are having with it.
I'm not saying that they had bad products really, just that what items they had to offer just didn't move much. You usually don't see guys trading air drills every year, and when you go to trade a new ones worth gold and the trade is worth nothing. This means that many smaller farmers are just buying up used units because new seeding units don't pan out for them, so only a few farmers are buying the new units, and most of them are brand biased to the manufacture and dealer that they are buying there tractors, combines, etc from, even though most of them won't admit that (lots of those dealers also do not carry Morris equiptment either, like Pattison, even though they are just across the road from Morris in Yorkton and rent tractors to Morris for testing). Then other then their carts and seeders, what do they have to offer that is in demand right now? That's what happened to them. They got pushed out as the industry field practices changed. Is it good, no, but that's just what has happened combined with a tight farm economy where people aren't willing to spend big bucks on an unfamiliar unit that may not work well for them in their situation and then taken a real licken when they go to trade it in. Same goes with Bergen and lots of other smaller ag manufactures these past couple of years.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The problem with Morris is the management.
I don't believe the quantum drill was ever really field tested much before it left the drawing board.
I never saw one unit around for field testing, they went straight into production.
And that isn't normal, they used to field test quite extensively and I have got test machines in the past myself to run.
Australian conditions are super tough compared to western Canada.
And now there are expensive warranty issues dealing with the trip openers that need to be dealt with.
I believe to some extent engineering dept was over ridden by the management.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Just a question, I haven't read through all the documents, what does bankruptcy protection give them? What does it mean for the people they owe money to? Is this one of those cases where they only pay back pennies on the dollar to creditors or is that full bankruptcy?
The immediate effect is a stay of any proceedings currently against them at the time of filing. So if you were waiting on your wire transfer from them instead of their neighbour that would be on permanent hold immediately. Going forward it gives new debtors protection. So if they fill the fuel tank for the forklift that bill gets paid 100% before anything prior to the filing gets paid. The likely outcome is some kind of "proposal". That means the company makes an offer to the creditors which might be 100% payment to the secured and 20% payment to the unsecured and in return the creditors effectively give them a clean slate and they never actually declare bankruptcy. Alternatively, if they can't come to that kind of agreement, they declare bankruptcy and the lawyers fight it out in court.

The real question is whether there is enough value in whatever technology they own to interest one of the majors. The other immediate effect is that Norbert Beaujot and Gerry Bourgault likely don't sleep quite as well as they used to.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm not saying that they had bad products really, just that what items they had to offer just didn't move much.
So items like heavy harrows, and hay hikers, concepts, and the rodweeders that they still make a run of for Washington state are nothing more than cash cows because the engineering was paid for long ago.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The problem with Morris is the management.
I don't believe the quantum drill was ever really field tested much before it left the drawing board.
I never saw one unit around for field testing, they went straight into production.
And that isn't normal, they used to field test quite extensively and I have got test machines in the past myself to run.
Australian conditions are super tough compared to western Canada.
And now there are expensive warranty issues dealing with the trip openers that need to be dealt with.
I believe to some extent engineering dept was over ridden by the management.
thats the way all the manufactures are doing it now, young smartass engineers, bean counters doing it on the cad. They use the farmer as R&D. CNH did that with the new air carts and phds. Cost farmers in lost time and crops, back in the day the old timers thought things through ran it and changed it till it was good. If the odd one still screwed up they just replaced it so the farmer could keep going. Now it was setup wrong or operated it wrong any excuse except its bad design. When companies were owned by families or partners they took pride, conglomerates only know their bottom line.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
so only a few farmers are buying the new units, and most of them are brand biased to the manufacture and dealer that they are buying there tractors, combines, etc from, even though most of them won't admit that (lots of those dealers also do not carry Morris equiptment either, like Pattison,
I think in the last few years that is a huge factor to shortline company sales.
Large operations seem to lease and the finance arms of Deere and CIH are willing to finance so while they are picking out the newest tractor for the front end and the new seeder too.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts