The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I haven't "looked under the hood" of any of the majors books but their operations are a bit suspicious. When GM (and the rest of them) went down they were a finance company that happened to build cars. I would not be surprised if many of the Ag manufacturers are in the same boat today. These kind of things work right up to the moment that they don't.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Thanks MF for the link to those documents. Didn't read everything word for word but what it seems to me is they are very heavy in top end management and are packing a lot more debt then I would have expected. Perhaps a case of too many bulls and instead of breeding cows they was all too busy fighting with each other.
Seems like that dealership in Manitoba is an example of that, almost seems like it was always a negative drain on the company.
Agree with what was said about their limited amount of products, other than their drills, not much else really of substance. And the Aussie issues seem to be tied directly to lack of R&D. One has to wonder if they didn't rush things to try to beat the competition or such, if so, that one sure backfired. Interesting that it seems there is issues with not only Revenue Canada, but also Economic Development Canada too, they are somehow tied into the Aussie situation.
Was on the Morris site itself, was looking under dealers, dumb question, is a ProAg dealer the same as a Morris dealer?
For example, my dealer was Pentagon in Westlock, now with this ProAg thing, I see its either Martin's(JD) or Agterra in Waskatenau.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks MF for the link to those documents. Didn't read everything word for word but what it seems to me is they are very heavy in top end management and are packing a lot more debt then I would have expected. Perhaps a case of too many bulls and instead of breeding cows they was all too busy fighting with each other.
Seems like that dealership in Manitoba is an example of that, almost seems like it was always a negative drain on the company.
Agree with what was said about their limited amount of products, other than their drills, not much else really of substance. And the Aussie issues seem to be tied directly to lack of R&D. One has to wonder if they didn't rush things to try to beat the competition or such, if so, that one sure backfired. Interesting that it seems there is issues with not only Revenue Canada, but also Economic Development Canada too, they are somehow tied into the Aussie situation.
Was on the Morris site itself, was looking under dealers, dumb question, is a ProAg dealer the same as a Morris dealer?
For example, my dealer was Pentagon in Westlock, now with this ProAg thing, I see its either Martin's(JD) or Agterra in Waskatenau.
Pentagon has not been a Morris/Pro Ag dealer for years, at least 4. Pro Ag is the haying equipment line.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
At one time Morris industries had 3 company stores.
The one here in Yorkton was sold off and the Morris contract went to another dealer.
I think the company store moved more iron and parts and service was better.
But when you are short on cash start selling properties.
There were almost no Morris dealers in Manitoba until Mazer group got on board just last year so maybe now Virden company store might be unnecessary?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Pentagon has not been a Morris/Pro Ag dealer for years, at least 4. Pro Ag is the haying equipment line.
Thats one of the annoying things about pentagon, they bring in a line, don't really push it hard, and when it doesn't sell its self, they drop it and move onto something else. We looked at a Contour drill a number of years ago and were really considering one, but they dropped the line before we could give them money. Its not so bad as we have another local dealer if we had gone that route. I think that was about 8 years ago, or maybe more, they haven't been a dealer for quite some time. Just like they used to be a salford dealer. The ProAg products seem to be pretty good from the ones I've been around.

·
Registered
378 Posts
At one time Morris industries had 3 company stores.
The one here in Yorkton was sold off and the Morris contract went to another dealer.
I think the company store moved more iron and parts and service was better.
But when you are short on cash start selling properties.
There were almost no Morris dealers in Manitoba until Mazer group got on board just last year so maybe now Virden company store might be unnecessary?
Pretty much guarantee the Virden store will disappear as they already sold off the lot and building as they were planning a new building on a new lot. Equipment is on the new lot but no building so they are operating out of a small building at a different location.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
What always amazed me is why Morris kept the head office in Saskatoon.
Old George ran the place with 450 employees all out of the existing offices at the main plant on York road.
Back in his day everything was done by pen and paper.
Saskatoon was built because his daughter Wendy lived in Saskatoon and had no intention of moving here to run the company.
Its a luxury building that was never really necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
10.8 million owed receivables from equipment sent to Australia?
Even if that amount all recovered it still would only bring the non secured suppliers current.
Story was here in Yorkton that Australia not paying until Morris fixes the problems with the new drill.
Been big problems with the Quantams in Australia. Theres a farmer suing them over it because the drill cost them huge crop emergence issues.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Been big problems with the Quantams in Australia. Theres a farmer suing them over it because the drill cost them huge crop emergence issues.
What is the drill doing that is causing these issues? My neighbor bought one last year and had no problems. He is really happy with it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
According to my coffee time conversation with a retired Morris employee.
Something about super hard dry dirt in Australia, trying to plow seed in up to 5 inches deep to find moisture and added something about some tree roots that don’t rot and are in the soil in Australia that really raise h$&@ with machinery.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Something about super hard dry dirt in Australia, trying to plow seed in up to 5 inches deep to find moisture and added something about some tree roots that don’t rot and are in the soil in Australia that really raise h$&@ with machinery.
5 inches! My God ,China isn't that much farther to go from OZ ! shesh, A tool bar seeding over 5 inches deep is asking a little lot in soils with a concrete hard pan. Nothing would work perfect. I know a farm that added concrete weights to there 1890 disc drill and that resulted in serious frame failure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know a guy in NE sask that bought a quantum last spring and loved it. I Was actually thinking about getting one myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hydraulic issue was that there was no built in safety to stop users from running up to 25% higher hydraulic pressure than recommended in the operators manual. Guys just cranked the pressure and kept seeding where other colored machines had just parked to wait for rain over there.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Hot damn let me know if it works. Every other year I could sue New Holland.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I own a quantum love the drill had awesome crops. Frame is built solid. Had some premature wear on openers in my opinion but.. Morris has and does have issues with there plastic boots splitting and fertilizer ending up in seed trench.
for the cart it’s accurate and I like it. Have a 60ft with a 9650. Hope all works out for them.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts