The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was hoping to get through this wheat harvest without having to change mine out, but looks like im gonna have to do it asap. i have a 9610, and was wondering what you more experienced combine folks thought would be the most bang for the buck on a replacement concave and bars. with the dry year we have had here in west texas and not a whole lot lined up to cut i really dont wanna fork over alot of $$$$ what about the one that is made by sunnybrooke that is marketed by deere. its not alot above the oem one in price. same goes for bars im going to replace those as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have run Deere bars and concaves, ordered a St John, looked at that crappy work and sent it back. Considered a PF Parts cylinder but may trade after this crop and didn't want to drop the $$ for the solid cylinder. I have run and will continue to run Loewen bars, concaves, and augers. As good or better than any of the others, especially the augers.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Loewen concave from sloan express $1029, new deere unit is 1050 and no freight - I HIGHLY reccommend the st. john concave - it may not look as pretty with the hardfacing added on, but lasts 3x if not longer than a OEM/aftermarket unit. As for bars - go with loewen if you want new ones, they are about ~250 less even with shipping and include hardware and IMO are better than deere bars.

jd

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. is the st john concave built about like the oem deere one as far as spec or is it different

·
Registered
30 Posts
I must be the only person that ever ordered a St Johns concave and thought it was junk. The one I recieved had 13 cracks, was bowed 5/8" in the middle, and I called Terry before unloading it and he said it happened in shipping. You could have drug the thing behind the truck from Kansas and it wouldn't have been broken like that. Also took me 4 months to get my money back.

Made a big fat X on them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, and i think davedan had and issue with a kuchar concave too. i could be wrong, but i think i remember reading once on here that he wasnt satisfied with it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
brew,

sj welding rebuilds oem concaves - you can spec a 13 or 14 bar and terry can grind it to oem spec or grind it to his spec - which works great. He also beefs it up. Look up his website, give him a call - he's one heck of a nice guy and one of the few "combine scientists" out there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
sorry you had a bad experience, I'm guessing that the trip from KS to LA may have been a factor. I am kinda suprised it took a while to get your $$ back.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I do agree with Brew on this one. I know the St. John staff personally. They DO have as good a product as any. I still believe Cotton's case may have been a wrong item sent issue. Still, had he had a more prompt refund or immediate resolution, such as a non-defective concave, that would have kept them from having his bad mark.

Same goes for Kuchar. Yes, I know him, too, and he's got excellent stuff.

I'm not going to even second-guess Davedan's issue, since he's never even rendered details. Cotton has.

It's not how "perfect" a business or its products are, as much as it is their willingness to correct and rectify a bad situation. Anyone can make a fluke. It takes integrity to correct it and even make restitution if needed. Such was Deere's own issues on 'bad" engines. At least they DID something about that. I made a comment on the corresponding thread, some months ago, too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, on the un-reworked concave. It was ground and stripped with some hardened strips on the bars. Just simply zero quality control. Nonetheless, I wouldn't have wanted that concave even had it been fixed. No telling how many hours and fatigue that concave had. Its time had come. If you rebuild something, use something worthwhile.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Davedan had a brand new kuchar concave that was poorly assembled, poor fitting and not even close to square. I can see his problem with the whole deal, especially after buying one - very $$ and then paying freight to CA.

jd

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'll vote for the St John rebuilt unit also. And with the hardfacing on there, it will outlast 3 brand new deere units.

Talk about high prices! Take one pound of metal off your concave, and it is junk. If you figure installation, that is what, about $2500/lb for steel?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, Guru. I had asked Dave about details, never got any answer. Oh well.

I just hope Kuchar was decent, when it came to making good on a return credit/refund.

Cotton, I agree. Someone just had to have NOT been watching, when that one went out. Concaves are high-wear items, need precision fitting and so on. I'm sorry it took so long to get a refund from SJW, too. Still, as others concur, they do have among the best stuff, overall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When were doing a lot of grain and custom harvesting back in the 90s, we got good service out of St Johns concaves and cylinder bars ground, built up, and hardsurfaced by Trimpe. Throw in a Manchester feeder chain and it different animals out of our 8820s and 9600. Tom

·
Registered
530 Posts
Loewan concaves are good, straight as OEM but heavier thus lasting longer.
Kuchar concaves are a waste of money, I had two sent to me and both werent worth installing, over 1/2" bow in the center.
Im running tow St Johns out of three that were sent, one was not straight and could not be installed correctly, and we decided that freight damage was to blame.
However the price for the St. John was right,
Cracks dont mean crap on any part that has been hardfaced, when you heat up a part that much and add a higher tensile strength over mild substrate your going to get cracks and they dont scare me a bit. In fact ive never hardfaced an auger or any heavy tillage parts and not had cracks when they cool

If you need an fast concave go OEM or Lowean if you can get it soon. St Johns are usually a week out and then you have to be sure its straight as can be before trying to muscle it in the machine.

As far as bars go all chrome bars aftermarket or OEM last the same, I get 4000 acres in wheat out of a set and then they are junk, no matter OEM, Loewan, Abilene, etc all the same.
Im thinking of trying the hardfaced bars from ST Johns. Or having my sunny bars hardfaced for next season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts