The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well used I believe Brandt 7 x 40 auger. Would like to mount an orbit motor where the gas engine is. I don't need it to turn too fast as it will be used to run into a mix mill. I could mount it at the top but fear the little orbit couldn't take it. Would the deep reduction of the pulleys enable a small orbit to be used or would it still be too much for it?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I assume you are wanting to use a motor you have that is not in use. I would get the numbers off the orbit motor and find out its rpm and power output. Mounting it either to the gear box or in the place of the gear box is where you might have the best luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
About 30 years ago we did this. We used a motor off a Smith Roles drill fill, it was a 3 cubic inch rated at 9 horsepower. It was mounted at the top of the auger with a small sprocket on the motor. The auger was a 7-6 around 32 foot versatile, had a slide on the bottom to slow down the flow, worked like a charm and best of all no fighting with the rope pull B&S motor we took off the auger!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
One item that you could easily add as you are installing the orbit motor and not really sure how much load will be placed on the motor until you have product running through it and possibly stall out the pressure relief and that is a pressure gauge. That way you will know at an instant as to where your at load wise and can cover the auger intake accordingly if required. Also if you have a need for adjusting the speed, installing a flow control if the hydraulic source you are using from doesn't have that ability.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
GPM at 1700 psi or so is a HP. Get a real motor with slow speed and no problem. Besides you still have chain reduction at the top end if your motor is too fast
GPM at 1700 psi or so is a HP. Get a real motor with slow speed and no problem. Besides you still have chain reduction at the top end if your motor is too fast
stevie is correct, one GPM of oil supply at 1700 psi gives you 1 HP.

Not to insult your intelligence, but just some fairly simple math can get you exactly where you want to be. For example on a 7 x 35' auger to calculate the speeds of all the shafts would go like this: Gas engine speed 3000 rpm, with a 4" pulley on the engine driving a 12" pulley on the gearbox would result in 1000 rpm into the gearbox. Most gearboxes are 1:1 so the shaft to the top sprockets is 1000 rpm. A 4" top sprocket driving an 8" on the flighting would result in the flighting running at 500 rpm. So knowing what some of the shaft speeds are, it is easy to determine what flight speed you want (maybe 150 for feeding your mill) and where you need to attach your hydraulic motor. I think you said you had a 3 cu. in. motor so by charts (and I often refer to an old Princess Auto catalogue) at a max of 12 gpm flow and 1800 psi max continuous pressure , you would have a speed of about 900 - 950 on the motor. That flow and pressure should give you 12 HP. Now determine the top shaft speed if you want 150 rpm on the flight. Flight speed 150 X 1000 top shaft speed divided by old flight speed 500 rpm = 300 rpm would be the gearbox speed. So if the original pulley on the gearbox was 12" and you put a 4" pulley on your hyd motor running 900+ rpm and belt drive the original gearbox you would have your target speed of 150 rpm on the flighting. That motor is fairly low torque so you may want to restrict the intake of the auger and run it a little faster, say 250 rpm , just run a 6.7" pulley on your hyd motor. Hope I explained it so you can follow and work the different combinations to your best advantage. It should work well for you. Good luck

As Northern Farmer suggested a flow control and a pressure gauge would complete your system and help you set it up to feed the mill correctly and not plug the auger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When we set ours up we had a crossover valve to slow it down but we always found it best to just run it wide open. Princess Auto used to sell mounting brackets for hydraulic motors, took a few hours and we made our own. If you want I can go and count the number of teeth on the hydraulic motor, we used the standard sprocket on the auger. The setup ended up on our swingway auger to lift the hopper.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When we set ours up we had a crossover valve to slow it down but we always found it best to just run it wide open. Princess Auto used to sell mounting brackets for hydraulic motors, took a few hours and we made our own. If you want I can go and count the number of teeth on the hydraulic motor, we used the standard sprocket on the auger. The setup ended up on our swingway auger to lift the hopper.
Yes, running the motor full speed (up to it's maximum) uses higher oil flow ,which gives you max HP. I have used a small series hyd motor , but I think it was the slower higher torque model , to run a 7x45' feeding the dryer. It worked but was very minimum. Maybe a 1005, which is about 18 cu in and 200 rpm at 16 gpm I think. I always built my own motor mount brackets. The number of teeth as a ratio on both sprockets works , or just measure the approx. diameter of the sprockets for ratio and therefore speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.