The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how other guys slide there choppers back and forth on there L/M series combine. I use my loader and push and pull it with a chain. I don't think its the best way or very chopper friendly way!!

Also what cylinder clearance do you run for beans? I do book settings at 1/2inch and have wide spaced bars.

Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
558 Posts
Those choppers can be a bugger to move. Maybe when new they slid easily, but 30 years of use and abuse can compound your effort. Best thing is to clean the track and grease the bearing surfaces. Then you can wiggle it back/forth into position with a little effort + pry bar.

Was never a big fan of the contemporary JD machines, but they got it right when they set up their choppers with that rack and pinion affair to move them fore and aft!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Actually it's really easy! Take a piece of wire and run it up and down the track till you have all the buildup loose. Blow it out with a blow gun. Do it again, make sure it's all out right From front and back of the chopper and that the chopper is cleaned out if you were dropping straw. Then take out the bolts and pull ahead or back (whichever way you need it to go) from one side, then switch to the other. Keep going from side to side till it's in place. It is easer with two people. Main thing Is to not get one side too far ahead of the other, so don't pull as hard as you can! Don't grease it, just builds crud faster. Takes me ten mins or so by myself, only need wrenches for bolts.

·
Registered
685 Posts
X2 with oldbrownsierra. That's all I do with mine.

Also running the wide spaced bars in my L3, best thing ever IMHO. Long as they're sharp you should never ever plug that cylinder. I run mine closer to 1/4 in and just adjust with cylinder speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.