The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have MRBs on our 3320 in typically dry SW Sask. After the drill rolled backwards a couple yrs ago the closer tines got bent up and we removed them so we could continue seeding. We’ve ran without them for a couple years now but I’m wondering if about putting them back on to lessen the dirt thrown from the mrb. We put down all dry fert and run the banders at about 3” deep. We don’t have a problem with mud build up on the discs without them but they do move a lot of dirt. Would putting the closer tines back on be of any benefit?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had them off for a few years, put them back on one spring when it was wet and mud began to build up on the side opposite scraper. They have stayed on since then. Seemed to me there was no benefit to them in dry conditions. Probably varies quite a bit with different soils etc.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Ours definitely move a lot of dirt without them. You sure know it if you take one of. Leaves a rough black streak. A lot of our soil sticks even if it’s relatively dry so the disk grabs it and throws it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want to hold the dirt from being thrown around too much, the retaining wheel option is the way to go for the MRB’s. Not sure if you’d be buying new tines or just fixing your old ones up to put back on, but if you’re going new I’d suggest spending the money to go up to the wheels. We changed our tines to wheels on our 3710 about 4 years ago and haven’t looked back. Huge improvement in soil retention. We’re in the RRV, and mud buildup hasn’t been an issue on the wheels either. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The wheels are great if your dirt don’t stick. If it does though they will absolutely drive you into the nut house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts