The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering getting a drill with MRB this spring using dry fertilizer.

I have a couple of questions about peoples experiences with this technology:

-- How important is it to use two different blends of fertilizer with MRB (N+S+K) in the MRB and P in the seedrows?

-- How long does it take for the plant to hit the MRB on 10" spacing?

-- Does using MRB increase protein content on cereals due to plant getting to N later than a 2x2 type placement?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I had concerns about this when I switched to MRB's but after 2 years I haven't seen any issues at all. I would say keep it simple: put the P in the seedrow and put the N down the MRB. Can't comment on any protein bump because nothing to compare to. Yields have never been better here and protein has been average.:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had concerns about this when I switched to MRB's but after 2 years I haven't seen any issues at all. I would say keep it simple: put the P in the seedrow and put the N down the MRB. Can't comment on any protein bump because nothing to compare to. Yields have never been better here and protein has been average.:)
x2......plants use very little n when they are young. when they need the n say at 3 1/2 weeks after emergence the mid row has diffused and the roots can easily access the n . phos does not move in the soil and is needed off the start ....put phos in seed row

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have had the mid row N stranded in an extended dry spring and the crop sucked. Since then I put between 10 and 20 lbs N with the seed. Seems to help a lot. Have seen lots of unavailable mid row fertilizer here over the years.
If you live in a wet area it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used MRB for 15 years. I am using NH3. Put P+K and an additional 15 of N or so in seedrow with cereals, tank space allows, a little dosent hurt. With canola just P in row s goes in band with NH3. See no protein bump.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I have had the mid row N stranded in an extended dry spring and the crop sucked. Since then I put between 10 and 20 lbs N with the seed. Seems to help a lot. Have seen lots of unavailable mid row fertilizer here over the years.
What spacing bud? Are you concerned with 20# of N in the seedrow, especially on a dry year?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am in the wet zone, and I have seen the plants suffer from lack of n. The best thing I did was throw the banders in the bush and get atom jet side band openers. I was getting poor yields, the plants were starving, even with 130lbs of actual n in the band. You could see thy weeds, and then the rows of poor canola. By the time it got to the band, it was too late. And this was over three years. Wheat was especially affected. Remember, especially in cereals, yield potential is set EARLY. When you have yellow wheat when the flag is poking, after applying 120 lbs actual n, you just gotta change. Since I threw the banders away, my yields have shot up, my crops are healthier
I would suggest putting on some good side banding openers, like an atom jet twin band. Then your n will always be close enough.
Mid rows: Some love em, some hate em. Like no till, swathing or straightcut, or any other way to do things. For me at least, mid row banding literally cost me a large fortune in lost yield potential.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you are buying new I would look at the purchase cost of MRB vs side band openers! I have used MRB for years with NH3 and works very well. Gives me more acres per fill with smaller tank. If you are using dry maybe a side and is simpler!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Am considering getting a drill with MRB this spring using dry fertilizer.

I have a couple of questions about peoples experiences with this technology:

-- How important is it to use two different blends of fertilizer with MRB (N+S+K) in the MRB and P in the seedrows?
I think this is very important, for myself i wanted a set amount of P + S with my seed, but N requirements varied by field, so i was able to adjust this without changing my other rates. another benefit is the ability to drop the N way deeper than the seed, say on canola its going into .5" of soil, you can set your MRBs to go in 3" so you won't need to worry about it gassing off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have similar experiences and opinions as ifyouthinkyourwet?. From my experiences, the best invention ever is the seatbelt and one of the worst is the midrow bander. Of course according to bourgault, I'm the only one with the issues. Back in Mb we run an 8800 on 8" spacing with liquid on each shank. One hose was off the shank and when the wheat was in the 3 leaf stage (*/-) it was very evident the lack of fertilizer in that single wheat row. Bourgault uses the selling feature that the banders CUT the straw allowing for better residue clearance through the seed openers. I find that funny because disc openers are famous for NOT cutting the straw, aka hair pinning. So I guess we should be using them for seeding. 2 out of the 3 years I've used them here east of saskatoon, I've had plugging problems with them. It really slows you up when you have to pull out 4-5 times on a half mile. The straw never plugged in the shanks, it was ALWAYS the MRBs that caused the issue.

If you don't have anything to make a side by side comparison, with anything, how do you actually know if something works or not. Just because its a great crop or not, it's impossible to draw solid conclusions other than making assumptions. We all know some years you could seed by dropping the seed from a 747 and get a fabulous crop. Other years you can use more technology than NASA has and have the crop fall flat on its face.

·
Registered
143 Posts
tman and uthinkyour wet?

What were your seed row (starter) fertilizer rates when you used MRBs? Looking at plant uptake charts -- I don't think it wouldn't take much starter for the plants to reach "stranded" fertilizer bands.

As others have mentioned, at a minimum P should be in seed row with N in band. Better yet (imo) is to have a balanced starter blend (at a safe rate of course), and the balance of the fertilizer (whether it be N,P,K or S) goes down the banders. This allows for pop-up effect of P, balanced nutrition until roots intercept band, and the ability to pump as much of any nutrient down the banders that you like.

Need to strike a balance between logistics vs. agronomics which is different for every operation.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
If you don't have anything to make a side by side comparison, with anything, how do you actually know if something works or not. Just because its a great crop or not, it's impossible to draw solid conclusions other than making assumptions.
No it's not impossible to know. You can do tissue samples to see how the crop is doing. I use higher rates of N to be clear but my tissue samples never show low for N. Color of leaves tell you a fair bit too.

I would agree that MRB's have some potential issues. I used to have a set with NH3 and I hated them. How anyone can get a satisfactory job with NH3 is beyond me...because I tried everything! However if you use dry and put it deep enough to avoid losses then they can work well. Having 10" spacing and the right openers to cover the MRB trench further with dirt will help your results further. It is a fine line but when set properly they work well for me. I could see how some people would have issues in some other soils though because they aren't fool-proof.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ran a seedhawk with nh3 for five years and this year switched to a K Hart on 10in spacing with MRB with nh3. On my ground I was seeing way too much seed burning before. This just works better for me. I run the banders deep and have Martin spiked closing wheels on them. NO Gasing Off. Just great crops this year. ( minus some quality issues due to harvest rain )

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have an 1895 disk drill with MRB and it seems to work great, in our soil it doesn't take long for the N to get to the seed because wheat at 2 leaf stage I can see where a MRB has been plugged but I'll know for sure this coming year because my neighbour has an 1895 and a Cross Slot and he's going to be doing side by side trails

·
Registered
61 Posts
MRB- how long

I had the same dilemma last year go side band or MRB. Read a research paper from Russia. It said it takes 4th leaf and tiller before the plant is able to access the MRB of 5 inches. A stronger healthier plant at the start will be able to handle harsh conditions if they happen, be it drought or disease. If you give a baby only enough to food (nutrient) to survive for the 1st 3 weeks and you give another one full nutrient from the start the one given limited nutrient will never catch up to the one that was given proper full nutrient. Plants are the same and if conditions turn bad and the plant is stressed the one that was given full nutrient will survive better than the baby(plant) than the one that is struggling or lacking nutrient. The picture shows the difference between side band vs MRB seeded same day same variety and 200ft apart. They both looked good but I think I would rather put my money on the bigger stronger plant to give me my best return. Does this guarantee a better yield?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our seed placed fertilizer rates were about 30 lbs P with cereals and with canola we added 10-15 lbs of S. Only NH3 goes down the MRBs. And yes it was very common to be gassed out in the cab. One night there was a cloud of ammonia behind me as I sowed. Ag Canada's greenhouse gas research showed how much was gassing off. Of course BG didn't like that. But as the late Guy Lafond would say, the proof is in the pudding.

I couldn't put the banders any deeper or all of them would've been into the gravel roads. Now only a few are carving into the crown of the roads.

And my point was it is impossible to draw any conclusions if something is producing a greater result than something else if you don't have a side by side comparison. Doing something one year and then doing something different the next year or the next field or even a different part of a field is useless to come to a conclusion. Too many variables.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.