The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a couple used 2010 CX8090's. They both have powered rear axles. Except one has a two speed and other has a single speed. I was just wondering what the differences would be. I would assume a two speed is better but is it necessary? Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't know the benefit although I guess there are some with 2 speed rwa. Have case combines one with mudhog rwa and 28L 26 rear tyres. This machine will push through nearly any black soil, red clay soil that is wet in Australia, when all the other non rwa headers are sitting idle waiting for a tractor and chain. However in sandier loam type soils the rwa is of no benefit at all and I don't run it in these conditions the rear axle runs possibly more hydraulic flow, when you hit a bit off soft ground that the front axles have got through without breaking the surface the rear will start to spin and then dig itself in. That's just my experience not sure what benefit 2 speed is and certainly albeit on soil type rwa is amazing where it will get you. And in soil types that don't carry machines you are in the same boat as 2wd machines

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I believe Mudhog has some videos with explanations of how the two speed functions on their site.

We do have two combines the same ( JD 9600's ) but obviously way lighter then what you are dealing with but we equipped both of them with Mudhogs. The difference is that one is the single speed and a smaller lower torque motor assembly, the other has the larger cc motors with the two speed. Since we have never stalled out the motors of either one ( both have the same size rice tires on the rear ) , the only difference we have experienced so far is that the two speed does have a slight speed advantage over the other unit while in the low torque setting but then drops to a lower speed in the high torque setting.

So if you only need a smaller helping along of the rear axle and not loose as much speed/or want maximum torque for the worst conditions, the two speed could be a better choice. Mind you this is comparing our two units as what you are looking at might have other speed and torque specs so you would have to dig into that with Mudhog to get all the details. In fact if I were you, I'd give them a call right at Mudhog as they would know what works best for your combine weight and setup with tires and so forth rather then you taking a guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.