The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some pics from 2004. Steel Griptracks. I got the crop out! Caution dial-up users ...large pics. Western MN.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice pic's, I would say you definately needed tracks what a mess.

What did you unload into? could you get a grain cart in the field?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We unloaded on the ends into the cart, then into the trucks on the road. Had a 8220 MFD on the cart. KAD

G

·
boy I'm glad we don't have to deal with wet like that. If it was that wet at our place we would be sitting on the frame, if we were lucky. Gotta like the look of those tracks. do they make them for the 8010 as well?

Do you have issues with the back tires when you get into the mud? or do they float along pretty good?
Never seen a combine with track on the back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bet the driver of the machine the wheel busted off of said a few choice words!
Having combines stuck is never a very fun situation.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Ah, full hopper (with hopper extensions) and an 8 row corn head on a 2366. Yeah, that'll happen.

-Lance

·
Registered
356 Posts
wow never seen anythin like that. We always bust the back spindles (d**n badgers!) but never heard of the fronts bustin off. Must have scared the pants off the operater when she went.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't worry, 2004 was not only soupy in Minnesota. Quebec was just as bad. The very first 8010 I test drove way back when was in terrible conditions with tracks on. Quite the experience. I hope I never have to harvest in those conditions again.

Same idea, as above. All the grain cart could do was get into the gate.

Warren

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Until now I thought I knew what a mess was. How do you guys get rid of the ruts in the field after it dries out?

That 2366 with the broken drive wheel brings back some memories. I was 15, cutting dryland wheat with the 1480. I made the turn to the other side of the field and stopped to let my brother off so he could get back to the grain cart and unload me. When I started moving again I got about 50 feet when the whole thing violently pitched forward and the left side dropped. I quickly shut everything down and got out to see what happened and found a scene similar to the above pictures. Luckily, the damage wasn't as bad as that, but the sheet metal did get bent a little. A lot of the weight was still on the wheel as the final drive was resting on it. If you don't know, on those 1480s the ten-bolt hub is held to the final drive by a single large bolt through the center. I found that bolt back where I had stopped and most of the threads were worn off. As it happened, when I stopped the bolt fell out then the whole wheel/hub assembly fell off when I started moving again.

Our dealer had a new final for a 1680 in stock and with the help of a 20t and 12t bottle jack and the backhoe (to lift the final drive and tire) we had it fixed that evening. Of course, the guys at the dealer had to tell my dad horror stories about the same thing happening while roading the combine at 17mph.

·
Registered
56 Posts
First posters just like our was in 04, crops were AWSOME! but the mud sucked!! and it been dry ever since but atleast the tracks stay in the shed!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kad, the steel tracks must be incredibly rough compared to the rubber tracks and do the steel tracks last longer than the rubber tracks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts