The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been cutting milo this week with my new 2388. using a 30 head the heads are in the leaves so i have to take alot of them. my question is 3.5 mph is all i can do. the rotor speed just falls off after that. is this normal for a 2388. the dealer says i can turn it up 40 horsepower. has anyone done this and how much does it increase fuel usage

·
Registered
475 Posts
If the rotor speed is falling off but the engine isn't, you don't have a hp problem but probably a weak spring in the driven pulley on the rotor drive.

If your engine speed is going down too then adding some hp wouldn't hurt. There are a couple threads on here about adjusting the pumps. Do a quick search and you'll find them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Do you have a standard rotor, and are the plants still green? Last year we had an irrigated field that we cut while it was still green. It was making 150+ and I couldn't go any faster than you with an 853A. When I got to some 50bu dryland after a freeze I was doing 5 and not loading the engine very hard. From my limited experience I'd say your machine is about right, especially if you're taking a lot of leaves.

We'll be using the 36ft header this year. Everything will be cut after a freeze, so I don't anticipate any problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is a 06 with afx rotor and yes the engine and rotor come down at the same time. i was running 6 mph in 150 bu corn with no problem but when i put the 30 ft table on i was dissappointed. it could be the green stalks,, they are plenty wet

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 1990 1680 and have been cutting 100 bushel milo that was single crop. The head was dry but the plant was still green and it really took a lot more power just simply because of all the green coming through the machine. I would guess if the head is down in the leaves and your having to run all this through it will take a lot more power. You probably don't have a power problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts