The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I just bought a 4420 combine with a 213 flex haed and a 4 row narrow row corn head. The combine has been stored inside and the previous owner was only working 55 acres, mostly beans. Everything on this machine seemed to be in god operating order and it also had a new unloading auger and tube.
One question I have is that it was a 2 1/2 hour drive by car to see this combine. Should I have it floated home or should I just drive it. All the roads are fairly flat and all paved.:confused:

·
Registered
977 Posts
float it , drove one once 350 km and never again .

Probably can get a smaller machine like that floated for $750 to a $1000.
Take a trailer with you and bring back the flex head behind a pick up and leave the corn head on it .

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
So, you're looking at, what, 9 or 10 hours driving the combine? Way too much time on an old cheap machine not taking crop off in my opinion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have it hauled. When we bought the 1440 a few years ago I kicked over the idea of driving home with the corn head, hauling the bean head home on a trailer behind the pickup. The drive would have been about 70 miles. Combine has been basically been trouble free the last 4? years or so we have had it, but I would have had to leave it sit along the side of the road till Monday if I drove it home. Water pump went out on me after the 2nd or 3rd hour picking soybeans when we got it home. Was very happy at that point that I didn't try driving it, I think it cost a little under $500 to have it delivered. Guy we bought it from set up the haul, so he charged us an extra $500, may have cost him a little more??? Who knows.

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
Hey. I just bought a 4420 combine with a 213 flex haed and a 4 row narrow row corn head.
One question I have is that it was a 2 1/2 hour drive by car to see this combine. Should I have it floated home or should I just drive it. All the roads are fairly flat and all paved.:confused:
"Float" it.:confused: I assume that means haul.
2 1/2 car drive might be well over 10 hours on a 4420.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts